Red Dot on Carbine?

Sport45

I have a Red Dot sight I don't use because it sat too high on my A2 carry handle. We have a M1 Carbine with some play in the rear sight elevation and the front sight is tilted a bit. I started wondering about getting a Weaver base for the M1 and mounting the Red Dot on it. I wouldn't do anything to the M1 that wasn't reversible.

What do you think, would that be a good combination for shooting out to 50 yards or so?

chris in va

If it's anything like the dot on my HiPoint carbine, it'll make things a lot more fun and easier to aim with. Try it, take it off if you don't like it.

10mmAuto

Red dots are great for plinking or shooting people within 150m. If that sounds like what you want to do go for it.

Sport45

Not people, but possibly feral pigs out to 50 yards. My son might get a chance to hunt and I don't know how easy it will be to pick up the black front sight on a black animal.

Sport45

On second thought, the M1 has worked well for over 60 years with the military peep sight and windage takes care of the front sight tilt. I'm not going to consider a Red Dot unless he has trouble with the sights that are on it.

Thanks for the input provided anyway!

Rob3

The only mounts I have found for the M1 Carbine are cheap Chinese ones that do not mount solidly.

macsters

there are plenty of good options for forward mounted optics on m1's. for a zero power optic (like a red dot sight), these types of mounts are great because they don't interfere with the case ejection and the forward mount isnt a problem given the infinite eye relief of a red dot. if you want to put a scope on it, a long eye relief 2-7 power scope is a great option without having to buy a "cheap chinese" mount that sits over the action and requires you remove the rear sight.

still, if it is an original GI, i would just do what you are doing--leave it alone. if the sights are loose, take it to a gunsmith.

also, (not that i am telling you how to raise you son) i find that kids do better later if they start out on iron sights. anyone can use a scope, but iron sights require a certain amount skill which is good to learn early.

Pahoo

First note that I am a big RedDot fan and at my age, they are better than open sights. I have mounted RedDots on just about anything you can shoot. I will draw the line on my Side-Cockers. .... :eek:

If you can secure it, the RedDot would be fantastic and better than a scope, on running shots. Go for It ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Edward429451

I have shot 22 rifles with reddots and it was extreemely fun and fast/effective within 50 yds. It would probably be as good on the AR, but I suspect that it'd have to be the expensive acog, and that any compromise setup would be crap.

Sport45

also, (not that i am telling you how to raise you son) i find that kids do better later if they start out on iron sights. anyone can use a scope, but iron sights require a certain amount skill which is good to learn early.

I appreciate that. He is grown now and on his own. He did start on iron sights when he was 12 or so although the Marlin 981T he got for his 15th Christmas now sports a scope. I hate to admit it, but he shoots the Garand better than I do. The Carbine is his first centerfire rifle and it is certainly fun to shoot. I'm helping him set the thing up fpr a possible pig hunt. We're close, so he has access to anything I have and I don't mind helping him out where I can.

The front sight leans a little to the left. I haven't looked close enough to see if the barrel was over tightened or if the blade is bent. If it's the blade, it's an easy fix. In any case it's not so much that it can't be adjusted out with windage at the rear. The sight moves a bit, but it's front/back with very little side to side play. I may remove it and bend the key slightly to tighten it up if he wants. If I have enough gumption I may get an oversize key and file it offset to index the sight if needed.

Thanks for all the responses. You guys are always helpful.

Ralph Allen

I put a red dot sight on a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt! Red dots on lever guns. Heresy you say, well it shoots great! If you can find good mounts that will not affect the M-1, I say try it. Easy to take off, especially if you already have one. It's not like you spent $500 for an Aimpoint specifically for this gun.
Ralph

zippy13

Rob3 said:
The only mounts I have found for the M1 Carbine are cheap Chinese ones that do not mount solidly.
Back in the 60's S&K started making "no drill" mounts for military rifles. I got their mount for my M1 Carbine and it provided a sturdy platform for my scope. S&K is still in the scope mount business, http://www.scopemounts.com

The Carbine mount worked fine except I had to fabricate an extended deflector, else the brass would hit my scope. Perhaps tweaking the ejector would have accomplished the same thing, but I didn't want to alter the gun. For a short Red Dot optical, ejected shells would not be a problem. You could bob the front of the S&K and have a very tidy unit.

m1carbine.JPG

[SIZE=-2]Image: S&K Scope Mounts [/SIZE]

-Fluffy-

I have a dot sight on my HP Carbine as well, and like it fairly well. It seems to work fine for about 70 yards or less. I got one of the cheaper TruGlo sights, and wish I'd have spent the extra money for a nicer one.

d559c1e5.jpg

Dave R

Sure, if its reversable, you have to try it!

The only other option I'd consider is a "scout" scope. Forward mount, long eye relief, 2X or 2.5x.

Having hunted with a scout scope, I think its superior to everything else for short to medium range. Traditional scope wins for long range.

But at short/medium range, it is:

-As fast to acquire as a red dot.
-Faster than iron sights (1 item to register, vs. front sight/back sight)
-More precise in aim points (3-4MOA dot vs. crosshairs)
-More accurate at longer ranges, with the magnification and crosshairs.

But try the red dot first. Then graduate to a scout scope if you want more precision.