red dot /holographic advise

J270

Looking to get a middle of the road optic to put on a colt 6920.
I am looking in the 150 - 250 dollar range, 300 would be max. Any suggestions.

Brotherbadger

Is it for a duty gun, or just a range gun for fun/Varmint gun? If it's for a range gun, i'd look at Primary Arms. Their stuff is from China, but it's really excellent quality. I have one of their M3 clones and it is absolutely awesome. It is not the level of a Eotech or Aimpoint, but for a mid level red dot, it can't be beat IMO.

i definitely prefer reflex style (eotech) over tube style (aimpoint). acquisition of your target is so much faster. sig makes a decent one for around $200, but i prefer the bushnell holosight myself.

the holosight is an eotech under the bushnell name and is only lacking the armored cover that the eotech has. bushnell always made the eotechs. not sure why they stopped selling the holosight. you can still find gently used ones on ebay in the $175-250 range.

9x19

There are also a number of low-powered variable scopes with illuminated reticles that make a nice optic for a do-it-all AR. I have a Bushnell 1x-4x on one of mine that can do double duty as a red-dot sight.

I don't care for Eotechs (have only owned one), but I do have two Aimpoints, and they are good sights, though a bit more than you're wanting to spend. I paid $360 shipped for my PRO.

g.willikers

There's an important advantage to the tube style red dot, over the holo style.
If it fails, the tube style can still be used for decent aiming, by putting the target in the middle of the tube sight picture.
Just a thought.

STEINER

Without jumping in too deep... Bushnell makes the 3 MOA TRS-25.
It is small and is easlily co-witnessed with BUIS.
Under $100.00.
Check out the reviews on Amazon.

SVTCobra306

Bushnell also makes a TRS-32, which is very similar to most of the other "tube" red dots in size and design, it's a lot like a Vortex Strikefire, except a little cheaper. It's about what you'd expect for $125. The glass is clear but tinted blue (like the Strikefire) and the dot looks more like a little cluster of grapes but it does hold its zero very well. I have two of them, one on the wife's AR and one on my Mini-14. I am happy with them for their price point.

I also have an Aimpoint PRO on my ArmaLite, it's a very nice optic, clearer glass than the Bushnell and better battery life, and the clarity and size of the dot on an Aimpoint is unmatched. They're worth every penny. I used an M68 Aimpoint when I was in the Army, and despite being beat, bashed, dragged, wet, dirty, jumped and... well... issued to a Paratrooper, I never saw one break. I used one in about 17 JRTC rotations, jumped one about a dozen times, and deployed for 18 months using an Aimpoint for part of it and an Acog for the rest. If you break one as a civilian, you're doing something wrong.

It would be nice to see somebody offer something in the $250 range that was better than the Bushnell or Vortex offerings, but not quite an Aimpoint. I think they'd sell well. I have a Sig CP4 sight that was around $200 that I like, if they offered a non magnified version that had the same optics and was prismatic like the CP4, it would be a good buy.

DubC-Hicks

What about the new Redfield Counterstrike? I haven't used one, but they seem to be getting awesome reviews. They even have a built in laser, but that's a moot point if you have a fixed FSB.

Microgunner

Just installed a Burris AR-F3 on my new SIG PM400.
This is a FastFire III with an armored AR mount for about $260.
So far so good.

Fishbed77

OP spend the extra $100 AND GET AN AIMPOINT PRO. They are great and so is their battery life.

Indeed. My PRO was turned on the day I bought it and has now been on for over 3 years on the same battery.

FrankenMauser

Just installed a Burris AR-F3 on my new SIG PM400.
This is a FastFire III with an armored AR mount for about $260.
So far so good.
I just dropped the same thing on a .458 Socom build. Reviews were good. Price was right. We'll see how it holds up..... (Should be fine... the FF series has always been designed around the idea of snap shots with .444 Marlin or .45-70 leverguns.)

jmr40

I've tried the dot sights. Done with them. They have been removed from my guns never to be returned. I just feel there are better options. But if you really want one, in that price range the Vortex SPARC is about as good as it gets for $200.