Red dot for Home Defense?

nowayitskevin

Hey TFL!

I'm a new gun owner from CA and I'm looking forward to slowly increase my collection. I recently just got my first shotgun, the Mavvy 88, for HD and a range toy. I've tried a few rounds of skeet with this baby with just above 50% success LOL. Only so much you can achieve with an 18.5" barrel, and I hope to someday own a longer barrel just for the occasion. The light might be too bright for a dark hallway at 3am (225 lm), but it's exactly how I want it right now. =D... Well... Sorta.

6121357224_7d15634f77_b.jpg

Fenix tk11
Lite Mount Tech Shotgun Mount
Esstak Shotgun Card with velcro directly on the receiver
Hogue 12" LOP stock
loaded with 5 Winchester 00 Rangers in the tube, 4 Remington bargain 00 bucks and 3 Winchester foster slugs on the card.

I've been on the fence about installing a red dot on her, maybe a micro aimpoint style or one of those 4 reticle sights. What are your opinions regarding an optic for a home defense situation? Better safe than sorry? Will it just be in the way? How expensive is it to get a reliable drill and tap job done? $10 rail vs $40 mesa tac rail? What are your experiences (if any) with a red dot on or off the range?

Lemme know what you guys think! Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

teeroux

If it is for home defense don't cheap out. Get something name brand where the batteries will last. I say get one the are very good for close work.

chadstrickland

I personally wouldn't worry about a red dot sight or what not considering you have chosen a shotgun for home defense. To much to think about. Inside your home in the middle of the night point and shoot should be your #1 goal. You need to train yourself to know those pellets go without looking down your barrel ..up close that is.

Imho that is :)

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Simple is best, and NOTHING beats a bead for speed.

Skip the red dot, and apply those funds to ammo and range fees. WHat you need now is a round count, not bling nor gadgets.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Another in the KISS camp... for me, a red dot, laser or other "sighting aid" is far too slow for my use.

My gun and myself are "regulated" like a pair of barrels on a fine SXS or OU gun.

The bead could be missing from the barrel and I would likely not even notice.

Aim where you look and hit where you aim...

Brent

zippy13

Greetings nowayitskevin, and welcome aboard.

I used Red Dot in 12-ga target loads many years. For heavy HD loads, Alliant recommends using a slower powder like Green Dot or Blue Dot.

If you were talking about a sighting device (not Red Dot powder), they are great if you are using your shotgun like a rifle for shooting deer slugs; otherwise, stick to a basic bead.

Sorry to have teased you, after you've been around shotguns for a while you'll have learned that Red Dot is a registered trademark of Alliant Powder (so are Green Dot & Blue Dot). As Brent (hogdogs) mentioned, shotguns are most effective when they are quickly, and instinctively, pointed -- if you're gonna take the time for aimed shots, try a rifle or handgun. Your sight money is better spent on practice ammo.

Technosavant

The only red dot type optics I'd expect would work at all on a shotgun are going to cost well over what you have in the thing and they won't add one single thing to your capability with it.

As Dave says, BA/UU/R... the more practice you can get with it on a skeet, trap, or clays field will build your familiarity with the gun. Don't worry that it isn't ideal for it (I've shot 20s with a 18" 870 Tactical with a crappy cheek weld), what matters is that you're getting used to running the gun.

Clay targets are way harder to hit than a person (who tends to be much larger and slower than a clay bird), and the instinctive capability you build with the gun will help defensively. The red dot would only end up being in the way by comparison.

NWPilgrim

A smoothbore shotgun is not sighted like a carbine or rifle. That red dot optic may be great for an AR15, but the shotgun is best used as previous posters stated: clean and almost instinctively pointed from the shoulder mount. Especially at home defense ranges (a few feet to 30-40 ft at most) using buckshot. If you practice shooting clay pigeons you will have a fast accurate mount and "sight" without the optic.

Save the money for a red dot for your carbine, or use it for more ammo and practice.

tAKticool

I've told this story a million times but it's relevant:

I bought an Aimpoint Micro R-1 at Christmastime on the sale for my 5.56 Bushmaster AR. After realizing what a great deal it was a bought another with my last money, not realizing I'd need a mount. Then I had to drop another close to $100 on amount, set it up on my Bushmaster. I had the other earmarked for my 15-22 but simply ran out of money.

After letting it sit in the box for a few days I said, screw this, its a $600 sight really , just sitting therfe, lets try it on my M930SPX. And it was AWESOME!!

SO AWESOME- I mean I love the M930SPX, wouldnt trade the factory installed LPA Ghost Ring sights for any, but MAN OH MAN the Aimpoint is like DESIGNED For it!

I just cannot get over the idea I'm gonna break it. ... The shotgun is a Mossberg it gets a little rough treatment, gets banged around a little, maybe moreso than other guns. I just dont want to ruin the Aimpoint, I feel like I might.

Anyway I recently realized I don't NEED it on there, I'm prob thinking about putting the R-1 on a hopefully-soon-to-purchased mount and just usisng the M930SPX like it was, with the good ghost ring sites and that be that. Maybe down the road a Trijicon Reflex on the rail, I've really been drawn to Trijicon, they're just so expensive.

Technosavant

I just cannot get over the idea I'm gonna break it. ... The shotgun is a Mossberg it gets a little rough treatment, gets banged around a little, maybe moreso than other guns. I just dont want to ruin the Aimpoint, I feel like I might.

You aren't going to break an Aimpoint by the recoil or even just garden variety rough treatment. You'd have to seriously abuse that thing to pull that off, and at that point you may well have broken the gun.

oneounceload

Take ALL the extra stuff off, and you might improve on the skeet field. In fact, if you focus on the targets, you won't even need the bead........;)

tAKticool

I didn't mean the recoil, tho that is of course something to consider, I just meant thru rough treatment.

And I hear ya, you'd have to be real rough, I just always break nice things accidentially that should not have been break bale, trust me, I have the break it bug...and just moving my shotgun in and out of its hiding spots etc. would break the Aimpoint with my luck.

olddrum1

Z, does this mean I can't get a Bluedot for my shotgun? I would strip all the extra stuff off the gun, not sure about the 12 inch stock, it probably would go too, and whats a Mavvy? Other than that welcome to the site.

TheKlawMan

I am not familiar with the exact sight you are talking about, but a neigbor has an AR15 type rifle with an new red dot sight. I cannot imagine using it for anything but an aimed shot such as a rifle or shotgun slug. Certainly not for home defense.

There is another point that was first mentioned to me by Dave McC, I blieve, when I was looking for an HD gun that does not appear to have been mentioned. Forgetting about the potential for failure of an electronic device and forgetting about targer acqusition speed, consider snag.

Any added rear sight, especially any kind of scope, increases the liekelihood that your weapon will get caught up on something in an emergency situation. Think clothing in a closet or a drapes. Something.

Also consider peripheral vision. I didn't really have the time with my neighbor's AR15 to know if it is an issue, but does a red dot lend itself to two eye shooting which should be beneficial in a defense situation.

Shotgun693

Most shotguns, even home defense guns, need to be fitted. A shotgun ought to fit you like an extension of your arm. Go to a good Shop and have a 'smith measure you. He can tell you how long the stock should be, how much drop or even if you need a little castoff. If your shotgun fits you you'll be way more likely to hit with it and the batteries won't die nor will the switch fail when you need it.

mkk41

Ask yerself what is the longest distance inside yer home , and see if ya really even need to consider using sights of any kind.

meatgrinder42

IMHO beads are the way to go, and in a hallway/small room you could easily point and shoot if the time came to it. The pump scattergun has a second deadly tactic, that sound...

The sound of you working the action is enough to send most robbers running with a nice brown trail behind them. :D