Recycling powder?

308Loader

Was setting up a load ladder for some SS109 (green tip) pulled bullets about 6 months ago that I never got around to shooting. Cases are loaded with IMR4895 and have been kept in cool dry storage. Things being the way they are I’m thinking of pulling the bullets, keeping the powder, and reloading the case with a powder and bullet that I have more of on hand. Thus saving the unobtanium primers and loading with no case prep. Question is, can/should I dump the 4895 recovered from these cases back into the original powder container? I am about out of this powder, maybe have enough for 10-15 308’s left in the can. Off the top of my head I cant see why not, something in the back of my head says I shouldn’t. thoughts? The recovered powder is from the same can I will be returning it too.

cdoc42

If just shooting them off, while ignoring the original investigative ladder approach intent, why not just throw them in the trash? But given your scientific approach, I would agree with the recovery of the components and application thereof to a future endeavor.

The question remains, how sensitive is the scientific approach? How long has it been since those rounds were produced from the canister to which you expect their return? Are the conditions in the canister the same as those in the formerly completed rounds?
Will the formerly completed rounds produce different results if you use more recently purchased powder?

Does it all really matter depending on your intended use of the cartridges?

RC20

You could put in a separate container, label it and use up.

Best if its a gun powder container not something that could emit or pickup from the plastic.

I keep a few 1 lb containers around with label stripped off for various purposes. If I put a powder in them I put a peel off label on it.

When used up I pull the label off and put it back in the shelf for future use.

Plastic containers (nylon or whatever they use) are nice as the OEM labels come off pretty easily.

308Loader

Thanks for the reply’s.

Their was very little powder left in the original can. Maybe enough to load ten 308 rounds, considered tossing it after the last loading session. Glad I didn’t, this was before the great shortage of 2021. Pulled all the bullets with a collet puller and dumped the powder back where it came from. My former ladder test consisted of 100 rounds, ten at each increment from start to max. So all in I recovered over 2300 grains of powder and lost zero components. Loaded them back up with a recipe that is known to shoot well for me (different bullet and powder). Plan to reuse the recovered 4895 for a known good 308 load. Will be interesting to see if there is any performance variation.

One thing I did learn in this experience, stick powder goes into the case way better than it comes out. Would assume their was some bridging going on. Took several taps on the case to get it all out. Visually inspected each case to insure no cornels were left behind. Will let you know if anything goes sideways.

Scorch

Pulling the bullets and re-using the powder and primer is not a bad idea. I used to do just that in the 1980s. I would buy military ammo, pull the bullets and insert a soft point bullet for hunting. But I found out that there was not enough neck tension; the bullets would either get pushed back into the case or come loose when feeding, and accuracy was mediocre. So I had to pull the bullet, dump the powder into a scale tray, neck size the case, put the powder back into the case, and seat a new bullet. This gave the ammo enough neck tension that accuracy ws improved and loading/cycling issues were solved. You may need to do something along those lines to get best results in your venture.

308Loader

Neck tension was one of my original concerns. New bullets went in with a slight squeak sound. Did a push check against the bench. Dented the wood and didn’t move the bullet. Fingers crossed all is still good, or good enough. Load is plinking load, didn’t want to shoot my steel targets with SS109. Too cold here for 100 round ladder test on paper. Running short on components so this exercise was one of conservation.

burrhead

Any time I pull pullets and reuse the primed brass, I run the expander/decapping rod up and partial resize the brass to renew the neck tension and not deprime the case. Set the die so that it stops just short of the shoulder.

RC20

That does not make sense. If you did it already and a bullet seated, its not going to change anything.

You could make a case to resize it and then do it.

That said unless you shoot sub 1/4 MOA I don't think you would see the difference

Marco Califo

Surplus Powders

Surplus Powders are often available. They are usually "pull-down" powders, meaning they were loaded and accepted as USGI AMMO. They were stored as ready-reserve, until they reach a time threshold (it is over 10+ years). Then the ammo is disassembeled, and the powder dumped/collected. After sifting and packaging it sells for about 60% of the price of new powder.
So, yes, powder can be, and is, recycled.
Is it worth it for you? Only you can answer that.

Last edited:

Reloadron

Question is, can/should I dump the 4895 recovered from these cases back into the original powder container?

I would. Nothing wrong with it. Too bad you aren't in my neighborhood as I would sell you a pound of 4895. I have plenty and easily could part with a pound.

Ron