Record keeping

MightyMO1911

Ok so with the addition of a chronograph I am going to get a 3 ring binder with dividers and start keeping better records. What kinds of things should I be including?

chris in va

Depends how much info you are wanting to record.

I do the basic stuff, average velocity, powder type, charge grains, bullet weight, OAL for each bullet type, how well it functions the slide, what firearm it was used in and how 'hot or mild' it feels.

You can do much more like extreme spread, accuracy etc.

wogpotter

I'd post the actual data sheets but they winge about copyright even with my own data & a freeware application.
Here's my list of columns though.
Date
Firearm
Cartridge
Bullet
Type
OAL
Case
Reload #
Trim #
Charge
Powder
Primer
Chrono Date
String #
Shot #
Ind. Vel.
Low
High
AVG
E.S.
S.D.
A.D.
Group/Distance

Longshot4

You sound like a wise loader. Oh how times have changed as far as technology. I have started to collect info in a 3 ring binder my self. There is a lot of info out there on every segment of loading. My first thing was to make sure my printer ink is up. Every day I come across pertinent information from cases, bullets, primers, and what ever your interests lead you. How to work up loads and just about every thing that there is. The internet is by far greater in information than I have ever had in the past. All you have to do is think. Good luck

jepp2

I will share how I keep my records. For my chrony records, I was just writing them in a spiral notebook, but I found I varied a lot and didn't always record what I wanted later. So now I have forms for:
-tracking my brass through processing
-recording my load data
-capturing chrony data and firing conditions
-Excel file where I summarize all my records

I scan my targets and chrony records into the computer so I can refer to them later. I use that quite a bit.

Brass processing label
[URL=http://s860.photobucket.com/user/jepp2/media/BrassLabel_zps48a1cf72.jpg.html] [/URL]

Load data label
[URL=http://s860.photobucket.com/user/jepp2/media/LoadLabel_zps1ac69133.jpg.html] [/URL]

Chrony record sheet
[URL=http://s860.photobucket.com/user/jepp2/media/Load%2030%20Chrony%20Data_zpsp0gjcibr.jpg.html] [/URL]

Clark

Paper records painful to search

I write with a pen on the post-its and put them with the reloaded ammo.
I write with a pen on the targets at the range.
I write on paper at the range to record chrono data or gunsmithing needed.
I print out the range report and staple it to the targets.

-------------------------------------------------
Computer records that are searchable database

I write up a range report on the computer when I get home and email to friends.
I have a spreadsheet for guns.
I have a spreadsheet for dies.
I have a spreadsheet for scopes.
I have a list of overload work ups, in Ackley overload format in email drafts
I have a list of barrels in email drafts.
I have a list of stocks in email drafts.
I have a list of reamers in email drafts.
I have a list of big game animals killed in email drafts.
I have a spreadsheet of raccoons killed.