Recommended reading for rifle marksmanship

ghbucky

I'm just getting comfortable with the AR, but my shooting is disappointing.

When I got into pistols, I found some great books that really helped me up my accuracy and consistency.

Any tips?

bamaranger

Art of the Rifle

I think Jeff Coopers "The Art of the rifle" provides a good foundation for field shooting , well written, with plenty of helpful pics. There are some "Cooperism's" that some folks stumble over, but I have always like his style and manner.

Not to heavy, very readable, and pics too.

ghbucky

Yes, you can only improve by actually shooting. I understand that. What I am looking for is reading about how to get better at the shooting part.

If I'm doing it wrong, I don't want to practice doing it wrong.

Thanks, Bama. I'll check it out.

ghbucky

ummm.... holy heck!

Apparently 'Art of the Rifle' must turn you into an Olympic grade shooter just by reading it.

Cheapest I can find it is for $75 for softcover and it isn't available via library or digital.

Drm50

What is the difference between AR and any other rifle? I expect the Army field manual on basic marksmanship would give a guy a leg up if he was a novice. The AR to me is a very easy rifle for new shooters. No recoil and little muzzle blast. Very comfortable for most people.

ocharry

Get yourself a cheap video camera....record yourself while shooting....it won't be as good as a coach but you can watch yourself .....you will be amazed at what you see......maybe a flinch.....lifting your head...not staying with the gun....you will see

I tried to help a friend of mine one time...he had a flinch and as soon as the gun went off ...up came the head....I kept telling him but he wanted to argue about it....so..I recorded him shooting....and gave it to him to watch.....he told me he didn't think he was doing that.....I just laughed at him

From there we started making some progress...finally...but I dont think he ever got past the flinch....but it did improve

Give it a try...prolly use your phone...then down load to a bigger screen...like your poorer to watch...be critical about it

My .02

Ocharry

Bart B.

Drm50,

There's enough recoil to cause two people to have different sight zeros with the same AR15 rifle and ammo.

This happens with 22 rimfire stuff, too, with less recoil.

Last edited:

stagpanther

I'm just getting comfortable with the AR, but my shooting is disappointing.
How would you describe what you're doing versus what you think you should be doing? Comments to the contrary, not everyone is shooting like Jerry Mucilek or putting all their shots through a microbe's eyes at 1000 yds all day and all night. If they were, 3/4 of the firearms industry would go out of business overnight.;)

ghbucky

Not grouping well. I'm only able to get out to 25 yards, and I'm shooting much larger groups than I would like. I'm just working on the fundamentals right now and getting any kind of training in rifles in this area is very difficult.

Hence, I'm looking for some primers on the subject. The Army manual is a good call, I'll find it.

ghbucky

Any Appleseed events in your area?

I am looking into that. However, I need to make a few changes to the rifle, like getting a sling mounted and something besides my RDS to take advantage of one of those events.

I'm thinking of pop-up iron sights co-witnessed.

Our governor has gone full nanny and banned gatherings of more than 10 people, so a lot of events are getting cancelled.

akpls

There's good info in this that might help you some.
f7c52d21184edab1ba753489f6a44ac6.jpg

akpls

My copy appears to be a little dated. A more current version of the USMC Rifle Marksmanship manual that I found is designated MCRP 3-01A.

taylorce1

Our governor has gone full nanny and banned gatherings of more than 10 people, so a lot of events are getting cancelled.

Can't be much worse than or Gov here in CO. I'm just blessed to physically distance on my 11 acre property and 150 yard range. I only have to drive 5 miles to the local 300 yard range provided by the Parks and Wildlife depth, maintained by the county Sheriff's Office, and about 30 min from a SWA where I can set up steel out aways.

Last edited:

ghbucky

I am extremely jealous!

I have to go to an indoor 25 yd range to shoot anything. The only 300 yd ranges around here are gun clubs, and now that events are limited to 10 people (Even outdoors!), that kind of kills that.

I'll keep working on what I can with what I have, but ultimately, I want to do an Appleseed event. I'm slowly preparing my rifle for that.

darkgael

I did not see this question asked: what sights are you using?
What configuration of AR are you shooting? Are you shooting from a rest at this point or from position? If position shooting, are you using a sling?
Lots of things affect accuracy. There is more to ask.

Books: “The Marine Rifle marksmanship Handbook“
“Rifle Marksmanship: A Guide to M-16 and M-4 Series Weapons”
“Basic Rifle Marksmanship Trainers Guide”
In fact, go to Amazon and type in the search box: US Army Marksmanship Guide.
Plenty to read. Remember, though, that there is no substitute for bullets downrange.

Last edited: