Recommendations

snubbyfan

Looking for a DA only 9mm compact...not top of the line nor a cheapie.
What make/ model do you like and why?
Thanks

nyhkolasfrost13

I second the Sig P250 compact. Great shooting handgun with a nice smooth DAO trigger. And the options for conversion while a bit pricey are nice. Have often thought about getting a subcompact grip and magazine and running it with my compact slide.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

2ndsojourn

I'll third the Sig P250. My SO has one (albeit a 380) but it's compact, relatively light, easy to conceal and fits your criteria.

Rinspeed

Bought my wife a Sig 290 several years ago. It works much better than I thought it would in both reliability and accuracy. Fits in a back pocket as well fairly easily.

Targa

To add to the list to try out and assuming that striker fire meets your DAO criteria, a Glock 26 and M&P9c for double stack compact, for single stack sub-compact Kahr CM9, M&P Shield, Glock 43. Why? Because they are quality firearms, fit my hand well, are priced right and shoot well. You need to try some out for yourself, what we like you might not like. The least favorite of the ones I mentioned is the Shield.

Last edited:

Nathan

In that range, i like:

Kahr P9 - great dlc finish available; very smooth trigger; quite accurate; acceptable grip....good all around tool; extended grips available that are not so wide in a spare mag pouch.

M&P 9C - good size to capacity ratio; nice mag with finger support; decent gun, but triggers can be rough

XDS 9 - Kahr size; better grip; positive loaded chamber indicator; serviceable trigger with upgrades available; best stock sights; grip safety that can add some real safety to reholstering....only negative is mag bases are too fat, especially the extended ones!

Next size up would be .....CZ P-01???

Bourbon Fan

Kahr makes a nice line of compact DAO handguns. I have a CT9 which I consider to be 'compact', but not 'subcompact. Its a nice gun...accurate, reliable, comfortable to carry.
Best of all they are widely considered to be good quality pistols, at very reasonable prices. You can get into a c-series pistol for $300-350. Its worth mentioning that Kahrs are also known for their long trigger pulls. If you like revolvers, then you'll probably be OK with the Kahr's revolver-like trigger pull. With a moniker like "snubbyfan", you'll probably like them.

Otherwise a Glock is always a safe bet, and fits into your good quality/decent price requirement.

larryf1952

Kahr CW9. Slightly shorter grip frame than the CT, longer than the CM. Accurate. Slim. Single stack, 7+1. Very smooth DA trigger. I love mine. Can be found online for a pinch over $300.