Recommendations/Questions for 30-30 Scope

straightShot

Hello,

After returning from deer hunting this year, I think that I'd like to put a scope on my 18 year old Winchester angle-eject 30-30. I live in Michigan, so most shots are typically under 100 yards. I don't have scopes on any of my rifles, and I'm in need of some advice. I'd like to keep the cost under $200.

1. What power "A x B" is typical and what do the numbers stand for?

2. What is a decent brand name for scopes?

3. Do I need a special scope since my 30-30 is 'angle eject'? What mounts should I use? Do these come with the scope?

Thanks,

straightShot

Glamdring

I wouldn't go over 4x [which mean 4 times magnification] for a 30-30. And I think a fixed 1.75X or 2.5X would be better.

Usually if someone says a scope is a 3-9X they mean it is a variable 3 to 9 magnification. I believe the correct technical description would be 2.5X28 for a fixed power scope. 2.5 is the magnification while the 28 is the size of the objectize lens in mm. While a variable would be described as a 3-9x50. The 3 to 9 would be the variable [ie adjustable magnification or zoom] while the 50 would be the objective lens in mm. But many people would describe a 3-9x scope as a 3x9 scope [which is incorrect but frequently done].

It is the same as with binoculars or camera lenses. The objective lens is the one that points away from you.

weegee

For the ranges--price and distance--you mention, how about a Weaver V3 from http://www.natchezss.com (They don't show Weavers on the website, but you can get the phone # and request a price.)

This scope is 1-3 power, with a 20 mm objective. Compact, light, fully multicoated, Japanese-made (not chinese), lifetime warranty, and very crisp, sharp optics. This magnification range should be excellent for what you describe. Very wide field of view. Another good choice would be a Weaver 2.5 fixed power scope. Each of these runs about $125, leaving you some bucks for the mounts (I recommend Burris "Signature" rings, with Leupold or Millett bases; rotary dovetail mounts.) Both these scopes come in matte or gloss finishes, as do the mounts. Take your pick.

The 'angle-eject' feature was developed to make it easy to scope a 94. Previously they ejected straight up, and scopes were mounted offset to give the brass more clearance. So you're looking at an easy rifle to scope.

As is obvious, I'm very high on the Weaver scopes. They are definitely the most cope for the money, and for some reason the most overlooked brand out there. I own several higher-dollar scopes, mostly Burris and Nikon, but I can honestly say that the Weavers are IMO very close, if not equal in optical quality.)

I know this post makes me sound --again--like a Weaver salesman, but really, you should check them out. Hope this helps...weegee.

Bogie

Don't discount Swift either - They make some very sturdy scopes.

You don't need "big" glass either - Those 56mm objective lenses just get in the way.

Kernel

Feild-of-view is key

Between "premo" and "cheapass" there are some very good scopes in the 125 - 150 range. They all have one thing in common, on the bottom they say "Made in Japan." If they say China, Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, etc. - don't pay more than 75 bucks. The Weavers are very good values and the Bushnell Trophy scopes (not all, some are made in Korea and are junk). These scopes are better IMO than the Philippine made Nikons. I agree with the guys above, you don't need magnification over 4x, variable power, or a big objective lense (these things would be more of a hinderance than a help). Feild-of-view is key, that's what puts meat on your table - not magifiaction. -- Kernel