Recommendations please for a backup piece

Dogger

Suggestions please on a backup to my principal CCW: a Colt CCO carried IWB, right side, in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion.

Other Requirements:

(1) The backup will also serve as the only carry piece for hot weather carry: shorts and t-shirt.
(2) No fanny packs allowed.

Thanks!!

Curuzer

Kel-tec P32 straight-up. Light, thin, tiny, and reliable (mine was reliable out of the box). I usually carry a Sig P239 40S&W or H&K USPc40, but when the shorts and t-shirt come a callin', my P32 delivers. I know there is no substitute for big caliber, accurate firepower, but as a backup or last-resort carry I don't think there is a better mouse gun.

PS. I carry in my front pocket in an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster ($7-10). Cheap, comfortable, and hardly noticeable. There are a myriad of nice leather options, but I hesitate to pay $40 or more to holster a $250 weapon.
Also, I just got back from the gun shop who sold me my P32 last week. The owner said he can't keep the P32 in stock and has been trying to get ahold of more, to no avail. Plan to wait or pay a few more dollars.

[Edited by Curuzer on 02-06-2001 at 03:13 PM]

Coronach

642!

A used S&W 642. 5 rounds of .357 magnum in a nice, compact little package.

Powerful, reliable, small, idiot-proof- everything a backup should be.

Mike

PS No experience with Kel-Tec, but word is they are great. What about Makarov?

Mark King

Another vote for the Kel_tec's P32. I use mine as you intend to use yours.. Very reliable and ammunition is getting better..

Mark / FL

RikWriter

Have to agree with the reccommendations for an alloy frame five-shot 38 snub. If you can't find a 642, or won't buy a Smith, get a Taurus Ultralite.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Here in central Alabama with day's that exceed over 100 degree's; my primary CCW while dressed in short's and T-Shirt is a North American Mini in .22 Mag with 1-1/8"
barrel. Don't under estimate the usefulness of this
little cartridge.

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

BillX

"Here in central Alabama with day's that exceed over 100 degree's; my primary CCW while dressed in short's and
T-Shirt is a North American Mini in .22 Mag with 1-1/8"
barrel. Don't under estimate the usefulness of this little cartridge."

The 22 mag is a nice little round, when fired from a 18" barrel rifle. When fired from a normal sized handgun barrel it is about like a 22 long rifle. When fired from a 1-1/8" barrel it is about like a 22 short. Does anyone really think a .22 short is a good defensive round? I don't believe you can count on this round to make someone stop what they are doing. And if the BG has a gun, which he probably will if you are using yours, you can't count on the fact that he will not be able to use it after being struck with this round. There was a recent case in which a home intruder was shot above the eye with a 22 long rifle out of a 5" barrel pistol and it didn't penetrate his skull. This weapon along with the .32's is better than no gun at all but I would at least go with a small 38/9mm as a backup or main carry. It is your life, if you want to trust it to a tiny .22 it is up to you. Just don't expect anyone shot with one to cease and desist unless you put a round in the eye.

nr123

My vote goes to S&W Mdl 642. I've carried one as a back-up for over 5 years. However, I'm reluctant to rely on a small gun as a primary carry piece.

oktagon

A Desert Eagle on a neck strap. It conceals well under bath rope.

Seriously, I would consider seecamp or similar .32 mouse if you like semiautos. If you like revos, J frame with alloy frame and titanium cylinder would be very usable, because it is light enough to be caried in the pocket or belly band.

I noticed some people recommended ankle holsters... they usually work very well with shorts. Good concealment practice.