Recommendations on NY (Downstate) Firearms attorney

Johnc

Some posts have surfaced recently from the New York area regarding 2A issues. If anyone has experience with a competent firearms attorney in the downstate NY area it may be helpful to post his/her information. I am in the process of contacting the NRA for some recommendations also.

ViperJon

Very interested in this topic as well.
I have emailed John Cushman, and it was his response I quoted in a previous thread. He basically stated that they (SAFE) are working on it but the Court of Appeals has ruled in the licensing authorities favor in the issue of adding "restrictions" to a NYS license. It's appears dead in the water right now.

Johnc

I'm downstate as well, it is getting stupid down here, let me know what you find out ! thank you

Will do, there are several people from the downstate area (potentially myself included) that may benefit from this information. That is why I started this thread. Many of us are specifically from the Island too.

Anchorage

Well, I'm IN the city of new york. What I would like to see done, is that the NYPD allows for licensing of CCW for anyone who wants one.

Perhaps they have to pass a class, and qualify with the particular carry weapon(s).

I am in favor of this license to be at the same cost as the premise license.

I would also like to see NYC accept CCW licenses from Upstate. and that NYS overall accept FL and UT licenses.

Currently NYC offers full carry licenses to the rich, powerful, and LEO current and retired. NONE for the average Citizen ! This in itself cannot be "consitutional" !

ViperJon

With all due respect to SAFE and their mission, if the information on the website is indicative of the progress being made, we are in trouble.

How about this highlight: "Presentation and sponsorship of the 1995 Suffolk County Legislative Breakfast, where attendees heard from County Executive Robert Gaffney and candidates for the Suffolk County Legislature"

Umm. That was 13 years ago.

Johnc

What I would like to see done, is that the NYPD allows for licensing of CCW for anyone who wants one.

Anchorage, that is a lofty goal. I share your sentiments, however, perhaps you should set your sights a bit lower. I doubt either of us will live to see that type of licensing occur. It would be nice. Nassau and Suffolk Counties are FAR less restrictive than NYC and even they are not that giving.

With all due respect to SAFE and their mission, if the information on the website is indicative of the progress being made, we are in trouble.

How about this highlight: "Presentation and sponsorship of the 1995 Suffolk County Legislative Breakfast, where attendees heard from County Executive Robert Gaffney and candidates for the Suffolk County Legislature"

Umm. That was 13 years ago

ViperJon, perhaps there is still hope. Maybe their web administrator has been in a medically induced coma for the last decade or so.:eek:

ViperJon

Maybe their web administrator has been in a medically induced coma for the last decade or so.

Unfortunately Johnc, it looks like the movement to get any change to the SCPD licensing authority has been as well.
It's interesting that (as you had previously posted) there was at one time action taken on this by the legislature. And the police commissioner refused to abide by the will of the people. I am really curious what happened after that. Did they enact the law, and then just forget about it? Did these pro CCL lawmakers just disappear and accept the commissioners edict? What was the followup?

Johnc

I am really curious what happened after that. Did they enact the law, and then just forget about it? Did these pro CCL lawmakers just disappear and accept the commissioners edict? What was the followup?

There is so much uncertainty on local, state and federal levels. Perhaps we are all rearranging chairs on the Titanic with respect to addressing local issues now with the upcoming elections. However, there is much to be done in the way of 2A progress (or holding ground) in this state. If Obama or Clinton get elected we are all in DEEP trouble. We may look back at this moment in time and say "Hey do you remember when you could get a permit in Nassau and Suffolk in just six months".

Time will tell.

Prolanman

Robert Deniro is a business owner. He is a partner in Nobu and I believe owns a film company based out of NY. Besides he's Robert Deniro.

I also would like to see our restrictions removed, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll probably live in NY at least another 10 years, if I don't get a transfer or a better job in a more gun friendly state like Florida or Arizona.