Recommendations on moving a safe.

MP Freeman

I purchased a new gun safe this weekend and it was delivered today. I bought mine from Johnson Safe out of Zionsville Indiana. Good safe at a good price. 317-876-SAFE.

Here are my recommendations on moving a gun safe into your basement.

1.) Let someone else do it!

2.) If you don't follow the advice of #1, I would recommend having children first. If you move it yourself, you'll bust the jewels. And learn this phrase "now where did my left one go??...."

Regards,
MP

PS Johnson Safe delivered and moved my safe to my basement.

PSS We have a two year old and my wife is expecting. Two kids are enough.

Greg L

Lots of pizza and beer on hand helps (if you don't tell your friends why they are coming over).

Greg

(I think that I will sell the safe in the basement with the house (or throw it in if they don't want to buy it)

Jay Baker

Greg, I disagree. The last thing I want my neighbors to know is that I have a large gun safe.

Let the professionals do it. The two times I've had my safe (1,200 lbs, empty) moved, I hired professionals with NO signs on their truck, great equipment, and did it early in the morning. Made it look like a refrigerator.

There are other ways, but the pros with the right equipment will save you a lot of grief.

FWIW. J.B.

Kingcreek

I bought a safe (700 lb), hauled it home in my truck and called a local mover. I told him exactly what I had, how much it weighed, how many steps, etc.
He came out that afternoon with 2 strong young backs and all the right equipment. He charged me $50 cash ;-) and I added a tip.
We had it uncrated and in place in 20 minutes slicker 'n snot. The right equip was a big plus. He had the best appliance cart I ever saw, a low-wheeled dolly, and a couple of delrin mats.

W. F. McElhany

I bought mine(750lbs) while the house was being built. Picked up safe backed truck into basement and unloaded it right where it was to stay. When I finished the basement I built a wall in front of the safe with a false panel. One year later the wife begs to move back home so I have to move the safe over a 4 inch molding, into a truck and to a new house 80 miles away. After storing the safe for six months we backed up to the basement doors and did it all again. Told the wife this is the last time.