Recommendations on 9mm practice load

Recon7

I just recently started reloading and have found it a pleasure. I bought a Lee Classic Turret and have been loading 115gn Berrys plated round nose bullets over 5.2gn Ramshot True Blue. I worked up from 4.6gn using my Lee Pro auto disk powder measure one aperture at a time and see no need to go up .40cc which should put me just at the never exceed load in 2nd ed modern reloading. I am using cci 500 small pistol primers.

I am on my second box of 250 Berrys plated bullets and still have enough powder and primers for another 500 rounds after I am done with those. I am looking to buy some bullets in bulk, probably the cheapest things i can find in the right quantity aside from lead which I will hold of a while for as I am a new reloader and shoot a Glock. Ideally something that will work good with the powder I already have, but I don't mind experimenting.

So into the question down in paragraph 3, what are your favorite 9mm loads for range ammo, and specifically is there any real benefit to spending a bit more for heavier bullets in the 124 or 147gn range or different constructions such as the flat point or hollow base bullets? I understand the flat point bullets may make cleaner holes in paper, but i don't know if its enough to justify the cost or the trouble of adjusting my dies to a different OAL. I am not sure what the hollow base thing is all about, but I'm not looking for match accuracy just yet.

P-990

For 9mm range ammo, I just load up whatever I can inexpensively, which lately has been Berry's 115gr RN from Powder Valley. I don't push them to maximum loads so I haven't tried the thick-plated variety.

In powders I've used W231, WSF, Power Pistol, H-Universal and Unique. Right now I'm running 231 because I like it in .38 Special as well, but all of the above powders have given me good accuracy and consistency. If I had to pick one specifically for 9mm I'd be torn between H-Universal and WSF. Unique truly earns its nickname "flaming dirt" IMO and Power Pistol does live up to its reputation for blast and flash. However it does produce higher velocities at standard load levels: I have a load with 115gr Gold Dots that does 1250-fps out of my Glock 17, and I'm running around a half-grain under max.

Gerry

The benefit of heavier bullets is (depending on profile) more surface area to engage rifling that may lead to better accuracy and less chance of keyholing. Heavier projectiles shot at the same comparative power factor also have less felt (and real) recoil. It would be up to you to determine if the differences are worth the $10 or $20 per thousand difference in cost or not.

Adamantium

If you are shooting on your own I don't see any reason to recommend 124 or 147gr bullets. Concerns of keyholing with 115gr plated and jacketed bullets are far fetched at best.

Recon7

Thanks all on the replies, I bought 2000 124gn bullets off everglades for $174. That should hold me over for a while, wonder if I'll notice any difference from the 115gn after I have a new load worked up.

jr05

My current load is 4.8gr WSF behind a 124gr FMJ (or CMJ from Montana Gold) with a COAL of 1.150". Easily qualify for IDPA power factor (I am getting around 1050FPS)

mmb713

I like plated bullets in 9mm for practice too. Lately I've used Xtreme 115gr RNs and 124gr FPs. I like the flat points better because I have a custom seater plug that really helps to seat them straight and they are more accurate than the round noses. My Witness P-S doesn't feed the FPs very well, although the last time I shot it it fed ok with them. My Witness Match loves them though. Right now I'm using up the last of my N350 with the FPs and when that's gone I'm going to try Power Pistol, and Silhouette if I can ever get my hands on some. If your gun will feed them the FPs are the way to go, if not the RNs will work just fine.

arizona98tj

I've put many, many rounds of Berry's 115gr RN down range from my 4" XD9. 5 gr of Unique @1.150" COAL is my go to range practice round. It delivers the 115 gr bullet at 1152 FPS from the XD and 1033 FPS from my 3" Kahr PM9. Never found a reason to change it, although I probably will once my Unique runs out. I've got an 8# keg of Bullseye that will probably get pressed into service.

spacecoast

I use 4.1 gr. of AA#2 a lot with 115 gr. Berry's bullets, very economical and runs both my Ruger P95 and my Hi-Point carbine just fine.

m&p45acp10+1

I use a lot of TiteGroup in 9mm. It is my go to powder for jacketed, and plated bullets. For cast lead I like Bull's Eye it seems to work better for me. Though I have not done cast in my 9mm yet.

I have two loads that work great so far:

115 gr Berry's over 5.7 grains Unique.

124 gr Berry's over 4.5 grains Universal.

The 124 grain load is my favorite, its what I'm going to use from now on. I REALLY like Universal in 9mm....shoots awesome and its clean!