recommendations: good 22LR for $700 or less

btmj

I would like to get some thoughts on a good accurate 22. I do not compete, but I want an accurate gun to practice my skills. I might occasionally shoot squirrels or rabbits, but the weapon is primarily for target use.

I will be putting a scope on it, so the iron sights won't get much use. I have a Nikon 3-9X that I would like to mount on it.

I am willing to spend up to $700 for the rifle. I have not followed the 22 market since the late 1980s when I had a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 as a college student. So I have no idea what is out there, what is good, what is junk, etc.

Suggestions?

10-96

I don't really know what's out there that's junk, but I'm pretty much of the opinion that if it has CZ, Anschutz, or Savage on it- it's gonna be in the right ballpark. Anschutz's get a little pricey, but those and CZ 452's are adult size, built with all the quality they can pack in, and will last for generations.

Metal god

I just bought a Savage mk2 FV for $320 out the door and it is very accurate .I plan to put a new laminated stock on it soon . You can find some savage's to consider here -http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/# you will need to go to there website and use there gun finder . The boxes I checked were

22lr
heavy barrel
accu-trigger

The CZ is a good choice as well . Really there are a few out there that shoot very well . This is a good start . Do some research , find out what shoots well and is reliable . Then if you can , try to get your hands on as many of them as you can . See what feels good .

There are plenty out there that will fit the bill and be reliable as well as accurate right out of the box .

The other thing you may want to ask your self . Will you want to tinker with it ? change the stock , new trigger , better barrel . Will the gun you buy have the ability to upgrade . Some guns are much easier to find after market parts for then others .

You should not have any problems finding just what you want with the budget you have

Last edited:

mr.t7024

.22lr

I would shoulder all that were mentioned including the Marlin BA .22LR.You do not have to spend that kind of money for a good B A .22. Enjoy have fun and let us know your decision.:) Cliff

coyota1

There is a Weatherby Mark 22 semi auto listed on Guns of America website. A friend of mine had one, and it grouped fantastically even with stingers. It's priced at a little under $550. Checkered walnut stock, and rose wood for end tip. I am tempted myself.

My CZ452 put my Savage Mark II to shame. It's the best 22LR off the shelf for the money you're looking for.

If you want a semi-auto, though, try a Marlin 795...you can find them for just over $100, so buy 6 of them!:D

robertsig

CZ452 if you can still get one. I believe they were just discontinued. I love mine.

Marlin 60 is still the best (IMO) if you want a semi.

mike7.62

A CZ 452/453 American is what your looking for. bang for the buck they can't be beat. I would pass on the CZ 455 If I were you. As long as I could find a CZ 452/453.

jmstr

When you say 'primarily for target use', do you mean personal target shooting for fun, or competition target shooting to win matches?

Also, do you want a bolt action, a semi-auto action or a lever action rifle?

Do you prefer tube-fed magazines? Do you prefer detachable magazines?

Do you hate both and want single-shot?

All of the recommendations are good guns, as far as I know. I have only had experience with the two .22lr rifles I actually own and have found them to be quite reliable and accurate, with proper mainentance. My two are both Marlins: Model 60 and Model 39A. Of those two, the Model 60 can take your scope more readily than the lever-action 39A.

Both will take squirrels and birds well, and both work fine for my range-fun type of target shooting. I am a real threat to all tin cans with either!

The advantage of the Marlin Model 60 is that you can spend a LOT less than your stated budget, and use the rest for a few thousand rounds of ammo.

Many love the Ruger 10/22, but it seems you have to spend about $150-200 to make it as accurate as the Marlin Model 60 is out of the box. If you don't like the tube mag, Marlin Model 795 [I think] is a detachable mag version of the Model 60: same accuracy/reliability as 60, but with detachable mag.

10/22's have THOUSANDS of accessories, it seems like, to customize it. One year you could make it look like an M1 Carbine, another you could make it look like a modern assault rifle, a third you could deck it out to look like a hi-priced thumbhole stocked target rifle, or you could leave it stock. I know the Model 60 Marlin has Dragunov-style stocks available for it, but there aren't many other options in accessories.

Again, I am not putting down any of the rifles already suggested. I am just offering some 'other' ideas based on the concept that you are describing a range gun for personal fun and mild hunting as your goal, and not a competition-level target gun.

If I am wrong, then move on up to the higher end guns already mentioned, and that will be mentioned.

45YearsShooting

The CZ 455 is a fine rifle; a great rifle actually. No need to "pass" on it. You can get a trigger kit for $15 to make the trigger as light as you want.