Recommendations for something to compliment Ruger P89

herdman

I have a Ruger P89 since 1992. It looks nearly new and still works great with no issues. I took it to the range a few days ago and put some 20 year old ammo in it and it went bang every time. I can't say enough about the quality of the P Series.

That being said, I am itching to buy something new. Ruger just announced the P Series has been discontinued. So, I guess I am worried about the next 22 years. :)

Should I go with another Ruger? You can't beat 22 years. But, I am not sure their new lines are going to that. Glock seems to the one everybody is talking about all the time. The me the Glocks, Smith M&P, and Springfields are pretty much look the same.

Would like to stay with 9mm. Any advice is appreciated.

Guv

Get a Beretta PX4 Storm, same safety operation, good selection of variations and calibers.

ritepath

If you want to compliment your P89 find yourself a P90.

for 9mm you can always find a new p95, or another used p89.

That's my plan....when/if I ever find a p90 that's not thought of as a p220 price wise.

745SW

If a holster is wanted get it soon because not many makers make it for the P89 anymore. The brand Uncle Mikes comes to mind.

The P89 is unique in many ways. Fishing line comes in handy for removing the extractor. Place the line over the hook of the extractor and pull forward and away from the slide. The removed extractor will allow the removal of the left safety lever and then also the right safety lever. Now the firing pin assembly can be removed. Firing pin lock removal requires the removing the rear sight, I think.

Field disassembly requires a finger into the ejection port to push the ejector down toward the mag well. Don’t forget to remove finger. :eek::D Position slide for slide stop pin removal. Pull out slide stop pin from left side of frame until it stops, pin does not fully remove normally. Remove slide. The mag comes in handy to reposition the ejector during reassembly.

The alloy frame of the P series will ring when dangled in the air and smacked. I know of no other alloy pistol frame that does this. It is suggested by some to grease the rails of the slide well because the tough finish of the alloy frame can mar the steel slide.

DannyB1954

I have the Ruger SR9 and SR9c. Bought the SR9 first with the intention of just having a full size range gun, (already have a number of small guns).
Liked it so well I got the SR9C. If I had to do it over I would just get the SR9C.

Martowski

Check out the Walther PPQ.... mine is a fantastic pistol with much better ergonomics and trigger than what you will find on the Glock. However, I would be very tempted to look at the M&P as well or the Springfield XD. Those would be my top pics in mainstream polymer striker fired pistols.

sliponby

Have a P89 since 1988. Went in to buy a .357 revolver and the gs owner talked me into the P89. Ditto to all the praise heaped upon this "John Deere" of a pistol. She's a little on the large and bulky side but it's never malfunctioned on me in many thousands of rounds of all types of ammo.

Since, I've added a few to my meager collection. The PPQ 9mm (ditto to the above post-I shoot this pistol best of all my collection); G23 Gen4; G26 Gen3; XDM 5.25 9mm; Kahr PM9; XDs .45; LCP; SW446. I never sell or trade. At least not yet...

As to your question as to what gun should you get to compliment the P89, I'd say you've got the large, service size covered. I'd look toward a smaller, easily concealable choice. IMHO, of course.

RodTheWrench

The P94 is the sleeker, younger and sexier version of the P89.

Now, as much as I love Rugers (I own at least 10), I'd highly recommend an upgrade altogether. Perhaps to something from the FN family. An FN-X 9 to be exact. I have never looked back once I got mine.

herdman

Thanks for all the input. Now that the P series is discontinued, I am wondering about parts and accessory availability. I know they are readily available now, but how about 5, 10, 15 years?

lee n. field

Thanks for all the input. Now that the P series is discontinued, I am wondering about parts and accessory availability. I know they are readily available now, but how about 5, 10, 15 years?

Good question. I see rumors on Interwebz gun fora that Ruger is, right now, offering at cost upgrades to the equivalent SR model to replace P series guns in for service. I can't say that this is anything more than rumor.

What I actually see on Ruger's page is that the one model P series gun you will for certain have problems getting serviced is the very old P-85.

They made the P89 for a long, long time.

weblance

If you want to compliment your P89 find yourself a P90.

for 9mm you can always find a new p95, or another used p89.

This is good advice. Since you want to stay with 9mm, I would find a P95. Magazines are compatible with your 89. You will enjoy an accuracy improvement with the 95 as opposed to the 89. I have had both, and have shot both side by side, with several other shooters to take "me" out of the equation. The P95 has better accuracy.

The recommendation of a P90 is a good one. 45acp is reasonably inexpensive and offers a BIG increase in performance over the 9mm. The P90 is an impressive pistol, and will last your lifetime, and make a great companion to your P89.

Que

Get youa new Ruger p series before they don't make them any more

Too late. While they can still be found new in box, Ruger P Series pistols are no longer in production.

I will second adding a P90.