Recommendation for scout rifle scope

ghbucky

My brother has an Springfield M1A scout and is looking for recommendations on a red dot for it. I suggested Leupold but apparently they don't make anything for .308

Any one have something they like I can pass along to him?

ghbucky

Are you looking for a scout rifle scope, or a red dot?

I'll quote his text messages to me:
Scout scope, besides military grade, what would you use? Looking for M1A. Looking for a red dot sight

I'm not at all familiar with scopes for M1A, so if you guys have feedback I can go back to him and help steer/clarify.

TIA

kilotanker22

Well he could use a red dot or a scout scope, but they are not the same thing. If it were me, I would buy the Leupold VX Freedom IER Scout scope. I think they run around $300

BornFighting88

I have a Burris Pistol scope I use on my converted PCC Mauser, its 2-7x32. Long eye relief. Would be a great idea for a scout scope.

ghbucky

Thanks for the inputs. He confused me... further explanation is that due to his eyesight, he is unable to actually make use of a 'scope.

I think what he was trying to ask me was for a recommendation for a red dot on a 'scout rifle' (that being a Springfield M1A scout model).

I don't think he understands that 'scout scope' is a specific thing :)

At any rate, I pointed him at Leupold because my (limited) experience is that they make good optics.

stagpanther

He might be referring to a scope with an illuminated aim point like TRijicon's--which is excellent, BTW (not sure if they have it long eye relief though). I think Leupold and others also offer that feature.

gaseousclay

Does your brother have astigmatism? That might make a difference too. If he’s got astigmatism a red dot might be useless, whereas, an lvpo would work