Recommendation for range finder

ARshooter

Electronic range finders have on the market now for several years. Well, the wife said that she would get me one for Christmas and wanted to know which one I wanted.

So I will ask you folks. What is your opinion regarding a range finder that will be used for varmint shooting at ranges up to 600 yds? I've heard that the Bushnell has a good record. Any opinions?

proximo

The Bushnell compact 800yd model and the Nikon compact 800yd model appear to be the same units. Both have gotten good reviews and I intend to buy one of them. You want to make sure you buy one rated for longer distances than you plan to shoot since pretty much all of them get flakey out near their limits.

CITADELGRAD87

I have a Bushnell 1000. I like it a lot, haven't ranged anything past 500 yards or so (suburbia).

Simple to use, seems well made, takes a 9 volt batt, neck strap, and an excellent neoprene case.

proximo

Well, this thread got me motivated to get off my butt and buy one of these. I can use it on the golf course until hunting season comes so I have an excuse :)
http://www.swfa.com carry both the Nikon and the Bushnell compact 800. Normally the Nikon is a bit more expensive than the Bushnell but S.W.F.A. has the Nikon right now for $299 and the Bushnell for $319. Doing some research on the net, it appears that the guts are the same on these but that Nikon puts their own multicoated lenses in which makes the optics noticeably sharper. I bought the Nikon.

Imbroglio

I have one of the old Bushnell 400s and was able to range a car windshield at 525 yards, but non reflective objects are a different story; probably 1/2-2/3 of the rated max range.

Anyone know if the new compact Bushnells have illuminated displays? For some reason the old 800's were the only models that had that feature.

CITADELGRAD87

Nope, my 1000 has the new carry strap, mentioned in early reviews as a weak point, but no illumination.

Got it about 6 weeks ago.