Recommend me some 38 Special load with 125gr

1tfl

I have some Berry or Rainer 38 Special 125gr FN plated bullets from many years ago that I want to load. My wife and boy wants to shoot the 38 revolvers and I want to use these bullets to load a very mild load for them. I have Winchester 231 powders and Federal primers.

I was thinking about 3.5 gr or 3.6 gr which I think will give me about 750 fps from 4" barrel revolver.

Let me know what you think.

I think you're in the right ballpark. You might consider 4 grains of Trail Boss to get better case fill, if accuracy becomes an issue.

overkill0084

My favorite .38 special practice load is 3.1 Bullseye w/ a 158 gr SWC. Your load sounds similar in character. Should work fine.

shootniron

I cast the 125gr SWC for .38 and load them by the thousands for my use and I use 4 grains of W231 and it works great. BTW, the bullet that I use and the plated bullet that you have should use the same data as ,if IIRC, Berry's plated bullets use lead loading data. BUT, you would want to verify that the data is the same as for lead bullets. I just went to the range this afternoon and shot 100 rounds in my 642 without any pain to my hand at all.

Last edited: