Recommend Me a Starter Handgun

bryceh12321

Alright, I'm gnna start working on a degree in criminal justice this fall, and figure its about time I learn the ways of a sidearm. I have experience with rifles and shotguns, but nothing when it comes to handguns. What would you recommend?

Price < $600

Thanks fellas.

Zhillsauditor

I'd suggest a ruger 45/22, with a bull barrel.

If you are just set on having a centerfire pistol, you can't go wrong with a 9mm plastic gun, a glock 19, a M&P 9, or a XD, all should be just under $600 new.

chris in va

There are so many good firearms out there it's hard to even begin to steer you in one particular direction.

I always recommend two things...take a safety class first, then go rent/borrow as many guns as possible at the range. Only after shooting several different types will you find the one that works with your hand type and preferences to trigger systems.

I will say one thing though, from a purely economic standpoint the 9mm would be a good starting point. Ammo is available now, cheaper than 40 or 45 and recoil is quite manageable for a new person trying to eliminate a 'flinch' as it's called.

Some people suggest a 22, but you'll just want something in centerfire within a couple months anyway so might as well start with the 9.

Don't fall into what everyone says is the "best gun for beginners" trap. I did this in the beginning, highly regretted it.

csmsss

Revolvers make excellent first handguns as well. I love my 1911's, but there will always be a place in my micro-arsenal for a few revolvers as well.

one-shot-one

$0.02

i suggest you get a list of approved guns from the departments you think you may go to work for and start working the list down from there.:)

Dabull

Why are you getting into handguns? Target shooting, concealed carry, home defense?

Assuming your experience with rifles includes sight picture, trigger control and firearm safety, then I would skip the .22 training pistol and move right to whatever "type" of pistol you need to suit your purpose.

So, to be of further help, you will need to state your purpose.

lee n. field

Alright, I'm gnna start working on a degree in criminal justice this fall, and figure its about time I learn the ways of a sidearm. I have experience with rifles and shotguns, but nothing when it comes to handguns. What would you recommend?

Price < $600

"Lawn Forcement"?

Glock 17 or 19, or their equivalents in .40.

cougar gt-e

If your purpose is to gain experience with a pistol that you can use as a BUG or on duty -- that's one answer and it's been addressed. If your purpose is to become a good shot with a pistol and not spend much doing it, then the .22 pistols are a smart way to go. Everything you learn with a .22 is applicable to a 9mm, .40s&w or .45acp, etc. It just costs less learning it!

Ruger MarkIII, Ruger 22/45 and Browning Buckmark are excellent choices in .22s

44 AMP

Staff
Starter handgun? Get a .22. Learn the ways of handgunning, and be able to shoot alot without breaking the bank. When ready, move up to a larger caliber, and you can either sell the .22 or keep it and enjoy it. treated right, they don't spoil, and its real tough to wear one out.

ShipWreck

I disagree. I think starting with a 9mm is the way to go. You don't have to start with a 22. And in fact, 22s get boring after a while, especially when you have everyone else at the range shooting something bigger.

Getting something too big for a newbie will develop bad flinching habits, I will admit. But most 9mms are not bad in recoil. This also gives you a defensive gun as well.

rdwoody1

I say go with a 9mm as well. I believe somebody already mentioned the Glock, S&W M&P, and Springfield XD. Those are good ones to look into for your price point. Don't get me wrong, though, .22s are cheap and fun to shoot. They are great to have around, but, as someone else already said, you'll just want a centerfire in a few months anyway.

TailGator

A 9mm is versatile in giving you a reasonable defensive handgun in a caliber that won't break the bank for either initial investment or ammo costs. For your second handgun - and there WILL be a second one - a .22 is great for lots of cheap, fun, useful practice.

LordTio3

Quite honestly, we and you need more information to make an educated decision.
1. Do you plan on carrying it?
2. Do you just want to learn to shoot it?
3. Personal/Home Defese possibilities?

I would always recommend a good .22lr semi-auto or revolver. Ruger's 22/45 is great, fun, and cheap to shoot. Good .22's aren't that much cheaper than larger caliber handguns, but the saying goes "splurge on the weapon, save on the ammo". That being said a good .22lr handgun in a training tool that every shooter should have and reap the benefits from. I'd recommend picking one up. It is a decision that very few shooters will ever regret.

Also, if you are considering criminal justice as a career (possibly law enforcement) there are quite often unbeatable deals given to rookie officers looking to purchase their duty weapon(s). I'd wait to get me Glock/xD/M&P. Unless you take off like a greased-lightning and go a bit handgun crazy. Then get whatever you'd like and more power to you.

Good recommendations for green shooters.
.22lr-
Semi-Auto- *transferable battery of arms to a duty weapon (magazine loading, presentation, malfunction control, maintenance, etc...)
Ruger MK II / MK III series with good sights. Used will do just fine. $300-400
Walther P22- You'll want to get a factory new one due to quality issues and warranty. $300-400
Browning Buckmark- $300-400
Smith and Wesson 22A- $250-350

Revolver- *simple battery of arms (low maintenance necessary, simple to use, very durable/versatile)
Ruger Single-Six- $450-550
Taurus M94 9shot (adjustable sights)- $350
Heritage Rough Rider- $200-300

If you are looking for something a little larger or are looking to get a service weapon that can evolve with you future profession, then let us know so that we can adjust our advice accordingly.

Hope this helps,
~LT

darko

There are many fine handguns out there in your price range. Spend some time looking around but, I would recommend 9mm. Ammo is not cheap these days plus 9mm is a good round (especially for beginners). Top suggestions (in no particular order), would be:

S&W M&P9
Glock 17
Springfield XDM9
Beretta 92FS (***will allow you to experience/practice both double action and single action trigger pulls***)

FALacy

Chances are you'll be getting a Glock when you get your job, so I'd get a Glock 17 or 19 and an Advanced Armament .22 lr conversion kit.

It will give you tons of experience on the platform for a couple dollars a range session. You can shoot 500 rounds through it for the cost of shooting 50 9mm. It costs ~$275, so about 1,000 rounds of good 9mm ammo. Well worth the investment and the good fundamentals and practice you'll be getting on the pistol you'll be using in the field.

briandg

Buy whatever you are going to carry as your service pistol when you graduate. Get advice from the professionals at your police academy.

Unless you want to start with a .22 or a revolver, it makes no sense to me to buy a centerfire handgun that isn't what you plan on carrying.