Recommend me a powder for .40 - long barrel

Dave R

I just started reloading for my Sb 2000 in .40. 16" barrel. So I'm thinking I need a slower powder. I've used TiteGroup (didn't seem to like the long barrel) and Unique (much better.) But neither meters very well. So I guess I'm looking for:

-Good Metering

-Good performance in longer barrels

-For .40S&W.

Bonus points if it can also be used for .45acp, 9mm, and/or .380acp.

Whadda ya think? Win231? Powder Pistol? Ramshot True Blue or Silhouette?

overkill0084

I experimented with some .45 acp carbine (CX4, FWIW) loads using HS-6. It worked quite well. My only regret was not being able to chronograph them. I've used it in 9mm (non carbine) as well with good results. I have yet to use it for .40, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work well.
I'd like to try AA#7, I think it would work nicely as well.

jimkim

I use AA#7 in my 40, 45 acp, 38 special, 357 mag, 44 mag and 9mm loads. It meters great, but it's real fine so if your measure leaks it might make a mess. I'm thinking Hodgdon Longshot might be the powder your looking for. I haven't tried it in a carbine, but it gives great velocity out of a pistol.

rogn

Longshot should do very well with the 40, can't say much for the others. It may work well in the 9 , but it'll be to fast for the mags and too slow for the little ones. It will probably give your highest velocity, and it will meter well. Ive used it with heavy bullets in a 10mm and it gets good accuracy, velocity and its clean burning.

amathis

I use HS-6 for all my 40 and 9mm loads, but going with a carbine I'd suggest a slower burning powder as you already said. I know that I've heard Power Pistol and BlueDot suggested for this situation, but having never tried them, I can't give personal thoughts.