Recommend good gaiters please.

Not sure if this is the best place, but I'm looking for some good gaters under $40 if possible that are lightweight and water resistant.

Edited to add: I should have been more clear. I need these for hunting in snow and wet underbrush/grass. No snakes where I hunt. Gravel not an issue.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
We ain't shopped for them in several years since they are hotter and more mobility restrictive than we like... But when you shop, you need to know if you want brair busters or snake proof... Big difference. we just risk it and go in jeans and work boots:eek:
Brent

Scorch

Cabela's sells gaiters to keep snow and grit out of your boots pretty cheap. Also sells snake gaiters.

jepp2

I wear this gaiter frequently when hiking/backpacking. It meets your criteria of lightweight and water resistant:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91261

The low gaiter is very comfortable, and I wear them pheasant hunting with low cut shoes. I wouldn't wear them for deer hunting where noise is an issue.

For deeper snow I use Cabela's fleece "Goretex" gaiters. But they cost more than $40, and aren't nearly as comfortable. They don't breathe all that well.

cje1980

I've had very good luck with Outdoor Research Verglas gaiters. Outdoor Research and Mountain Hardwear make probably the best gaiters that you can get your hands on. They have a bunch of different models to suit different needs at different price points obviously. I've used this particular pair of gaiters for Spring and Summer Mountaineering here in the Colorado high country. What you are looking for is a pair that velcroes together, uses a buckle system underneath your boot, and has some way of tightening above the calf to prevent downward slipping of the gaiter. There are a lot of crappy gaiter designs out there. Avoid the kind with tricky closure methods or those that tie instead of buckle underneath your boot.

I believe I bought OR Verglas gaiters for under $40 at REI. Very nice purchase. I have owned a couple other pairs of gaiters that were a major PITA. Not these ones.

outdoorresearch.com
mountainhardwear.com