recommend an AR-10 in the <$1500 range

mdd

An acquaintance of mine inquired regarding my opinions on the ar-10 chassis in .308 caliber. IMO, other than the weight, what's not to like? However, he wants to spend no more than $1500 on the rifle not including the optics. Bolt guns are more my cup of tea so I told him I would do some checking and get back to him with a solid recommendation for a brand. No CQB necessary; he's thinking mid-range system. Durability is important to him & he's in no way brand-loyal. So, if you had $1500 to sink into an ar-10 what brand would you look into and why? Please don't offer $2000+ alternatives citing how much better they are. I'll simply agree with you but tell you it won't happen. The budget is the budget. Thanks for your suggestions.

chack

I'd reccomend a .308 AR-15 instead of an AR 10. They're related but completelydifferent with virtually no interchangeability of parts or magazines.

I have a DPMS .308 Sportical that I got for $900. totally reliable so far, very accurate, and magazines are only $20-$30. It also has 80% parts compatibility with 5.56 ARs. I mentioned that mags are affordable and easy to find, right?

madcratebuilder

recommend an AR-10 in the <$1500 range

There's only one manufacturer of the AR-10. ArmaLite, it's a trademark name. The generic term is .308/7.62 AR platform. In your price range you have the DPMS and a entry level ArmaLite. I would recommend the ArmaLite, it has a 7075 upper vs the DPMS extruded 6000 series aluminum upper. Lot of folks want Pmags so the go with the SR25 style rifles, ArmaLite and Noveske use the M14 style. ArmaLite recently lowered the price on individual mags to a more competitive price of $35. RRA and Bushmaster also have .308 platform rifles.

I think the LMT MWS is the best buy right now for the SR25 mag rifles. New for 2300 and used around 2k. I shot a LMT MWS 18" last weekend and it's a tact driver, it shot as well as my 21' Noveske at 100 and 200yds.

This thread well tell a lot more about the differences in platforms. Some parts do not interchange on these like they do on the AR15.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=378850

chack said:
I'd reccomend a .308 AR-15 instead of an AR 10. They're related but completelydifferent with virtually no interchangeability of parts or magazines.

I have a DPMS .308 Sportical that I got for $900. totally reliable so far, very accurate, and magazines are only $20-$30. It also has 80% parts compatibility with 5.56 ARs. I mentioned that mags are affordable and easy to find, right?

.308 AR-15? The AR15 mag well is much to small for the .308/7.62 round. I assume you meant .308 platform, that includes all of the larger AR's. All .308/7.62 platform rifles share the same FCG's, safety selectors, take down pins, RE's and butt stocks. One problem with compatibility has been the barrel nuts not excepting all the available hand guards. These rifles are selling well enough that there are custom barrel nuts now so you can use about any hand guard on any rifle. I think the DPMS has a higher rail on the upper than the other platforms. You have propitiatory bolt stops, mag releases and mags on all the .308/7.62 platforms.

In the end they look pretty much the same.

AR10003.jpg

noveske03.jpg

These LMT's are a very nice rifle. SOPMOD butt, monolithic uppers.
LMTMWS.jpg

Last edited:

SauerJackson

Just to point out, new DPMS's are made of 7000 series aluminum now. And I'd personally go with dpms or armalight, both should be very good guns for the money!

7129 Aluminium to be exact......

Last edited:

alloy

ArmaLite recently lowered the price on individual mags to a more competitive price of $35.

In the 5 packs, it's down to 30 per. You probobly knew that madcratebuilder, but maybe the OP didn't. Mag price is fairly competitive, at least enough that if that was what I wanted, 30 a piece wouldn't hold me back.

They appear to be checkmate, or at least of a similar quality.

FALshootist

Love the LMT, but not the price. Really love the concept of the Colt SP901 but so far it and its price seem to be vaprware.

At my age, associated eyesight and the 100 yard limits of ranges in my area, if I dump my FAL clone (unlikely) it will be for a DPMS (favorable reviews and cheap available mags).

madcratebuilder

Just to point out, new DPMS's are made of 7000 series aluminum now. And I'd personally go with dpms or armalight, both should be very good guns for the money!

7129 Aluminium to be exact......

I see they changed the spec but it's still an extruded part. That's what I don't care for. There uppers seem to me to be thick and bulky. They don't seem to have any issues with them, I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers. They are showing the lowers as billet 6065 now.

I've spent range time with five different platforms now and I well say all of them are really nice. The 21" guns have very little recoil, almost 5.56 like. They 16" barrels have more but it's still less than my Garands or M1A's.