Recommend a shotgun for approx $400-$500

hayek

I have never owned a shotgun. I have shot one a few times. I do own various rifles and handguns and have been shooting for over 15 years.

Now I have an interest in adding my first shotgun to my collection. I don't want to spend a lot of money because I am currently purchasing rifles that will soon be banned once obama or mccain are elected. I am interested in spending about $400-$500.

A pump shot-gun will be okay. I would really like a semi-auto shotgun if there is one in my price range, though I haven't seen any yet. I am guessing I will go with 12 gauge. It will be used primarily for home defense and possibly some hunting in the near future- but mostly home defense. I can always buy a second shotgun for hunting if there will be a difference.

If you have a suggestion or two, I would sure like to hear it. I admit it, I'm a shotgun newbie.

RoscoeC

In your price range I recently bought the Stoeger M2000. Plain, not pretty, but solid as a rock and only $399.00 from Dick's Sporting goods.

If you would like a gas gun, I have heard good things about the Mossberg 930.

Either of these would serve you well for an inexpensive autoloader.

Gas operated guns (i.e. Mossberg) have less perceived recoil than Intertia operated guns (Stoeger). The Inertia guns are easier to clean and maintain.

For super solid ruggedness, the Remington 870 pump or the Mossberg 500 pumps are classics. For me these are like an old F150 truck. Not real pretty, but they always start, and they always seem to haul your butt out of trouble.

Just my opinion based on my experience. You will get others.

Welcome to the world of shotgunning. It is lots of fun.

Juhosaphat

In the 4-500$ price range, that'll get you a brand new 870 and leave you enough cash to pick up another barrel or a different stock or something else that might catch your eye. I bought mine brand new for 340$ after tax almost a year ago. It's seen hundreds of rounds without a mishap. Great gun to just beat the crap out of and it asks for more every time.

hayek

Thanks for the info guys. What about home defense -vs- hunting. Does that make a difference as to what you guys recommend?

flyby

Mossberg 930 SPX around $550 (Semi, 7+1) ...
http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=231673
52355.jpg

Multi-role/barrel 930 sporting versions are even cheaper...
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/49886

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5oKrzY_Pyk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_tcNaWpdc&feature=related

6thMichCav

870 again

Believe me, I'm not the world's biggest 870 fan. I own one, and I respect them, but they are not my favorite shotgun.

That said, for the price range you mentioned, you could get TWO used 870's, 3 boxes of shot shells, 3 boxes of Foster slugs, and a cheap gun case for both. Let's just peruse GunBroker for a second:

One 870, older, a few scratches and finish wear, fully functioning: $175.
Here's a better one, also a Wingmaster, $225. You're up to $400.
3 boxes of shot shells--I'll go cheap and say you get them on sale for $15.
3 boxes of slugs. Yippee, are they getting expensive. I'll say $12.
Two inexpensive cases, $20 each. Total cost before tax: $447. You may have to pay shipping, FFL, or tax. Then again, a nearby gunshop with a good reputation would only charge tax.

Why the 870? Reliable, very available, lots of accessories and components. The older Wingmasters had a slicker action than the new expresses, and anyone who wants to argue that some scratchy express is slicker will not receive a reply from me; there is no point. Any gunsmith who knows his trade has parts and can fix them. I have nothing against Mossbergs, Ithacas, Winchesters, or Brownings; I have shot them all and respect them for their relative strengths. But a new shotgunner will not find anything like a shotgunning commodity like an 870. And, if you find it is NOT your favorite gun, almost anyone will give you your $175 or $200 in sale or trade.

Okay, I'll give it up. I got two Remington Model 31's for $425, including tax. The 870's bigger brother is a better gun for my money.

rantingredneck

The 870 is by far the most versatile shotgun out there. Tons of aftermarket support and accessories as well as multiple factory configurations to meet your needs.

If you absolutely have to have a semiauto a good used 1100 or 11-87 is a good option in your price range. I picked up an 11-87SP with 2 barrels on gunbroker recently for 399.00.