Recommend a rifle?

RedneckFur

This might seem a bit off the wall, but its something I've been thinking about. I dont have a lot of extra cash, so I'm trying to plan my next gun purchase.

I'd like a rifle that would be good for recreational shooting. I'd like something i could hunt white-tails with if i wanted to, but It would spend more time as a plinker than a hunter. I deffinately want something no smaller than a .223. Bolt action prefered.

Something that i can buy ammo for in bulk at a good price is important.

I'm considering something like an 8mm mauser, or a good, but low price 270 / 30-06. I've also found a link to a company called CZ that makes a 7.62x39 bolt action carbine. From what i see, I really like the idea of this gun. If any of you have one of these, let me know what you think of it.

10 MickeyMouse

I don't know what NC's DOW rules are, but many states require 6mm or larger for big game. If that is the case, .223 is out. As for an affordable caliber in bulk, most of them are going to be European or Russian stuff. The 7.62x39 is fine for deer at short range, and the 7.62x54 or 8x57 will reach as far as an '06. That said, none of the surplus ammo in those calibers is suitable for hunting, so make sure to get the premium stuff when youj use the rifle for that.

A Mauser is probably your best bet.

RedneckFur

I think NC's rule is nothing smaller than a .243 for deer hunting, so if i got a .223, it would be a target gun only. I still wouldnt rule one out though, if i happend to find something i liked.

taylorce1

.243/6mm would be a good place to start, the .243 Win has been dropping deer and varmints for a lot of years. The ammo is cheap but rarely in bulk unless you find it at Cabela's or such. Military cartridges are good for cheap ammo but most are too powerful for high volume shooting. Military ammo can rarely be used for hunting due to most States regulations about using FMJ/non expanding bullets.

A good bolt gun in .308 will allow for commonly found ammo for hunting and surplus ammo for practice. .308 ammo won't be the cheapest surplus ammo out there but you will have to compromise somewhere. I just think a .308 will give you the best bang for the buck for what you are wanting to do.

Yellowfin

Enfield?

Perhaps an enfield .303 might work well if one can be found. Anything .308 also gets bumped to the front of the line.

USNairman

That CZ would be a great rifle for you as would the CZ .308. You made the right choice when you thought about a CZ. There is a reason why CZ has won more awards in the light rifle category than any other rifle ever has in Europe. They CZimply are the best!:D

john in jax

another +1 for .308

It's just really hard to beat the all around versatility of a .308.

150grn balistic tips for small to medium thin-skinned game

180grn nosler partitions for medium to large thick skinned game

and a variety of bullet types are available in bulk, especially if you shop on-line.

sanson

I've been lookin for another rifle and savage in 243 or 308 is my choice. mossberg ATR and remington 710 have really bad reviews. I can not find a bad review for savage other than cosmetics

mikejonestkd

I agree that a savage rifle in .308 is a great way to go, and as posted above, spend the money on decent glass for it. It will make shooting much more enjoyable than using cheap optics.

otherwise look for a used rem 700 or model 7 in .308, again with decent glass.

sanson

you probably know 243 uses the same case as 308 but is flatter shooting. 308 is military so readily available in bulk. I reload so cost is not an issue. do you still favor 308??

USNairman

In my opinion and my personal experience with owning both the CZ's and the Savages, the only thing CZ is going to give you that the Savage doesn't is
1) The CZ set trigger is way better of a trigger than the Savage accu-trigger
2) CZ's tend to have a better resale value than Savage.

Last edited:

onemsumba

buy american

Get a savage or remington both can be had for pretty cheap. espically gently used ones. you can "fix" their triggers to works as you would want them.

CZ's are nice though especially for the money and i'll probably get on next. As I want a mauser style action.

stuckon308

My idea would be to do go www.savagearms.com and pick out the style that most attracts you (and is in your price range). Then search for the best price on the net. Or a local dealer if you are lucky enough to have one. My suggestion if you don't mind a heavy gun 12FVSS or 12FBSS. And if you want a lighter gun, I would suggest the 16FSS. Or you know..... pick whatever you want. I think it's obvious I enjoy the stainless barrels.

gunner16

30/06

30/06 Are Real Nice Guns Or At Least I Like Them. They Are Fun To Shoot And If You Go To Dick's Sportiing Goods(if There Is One Located Near U) You Can Get Ammo At A Good Price. It Cost Around 10 $ Per Box........

onemsumba

The CZ factory is in Kansas City USA

I guess that is why their products have Czech Republic stamped on them.....

"CZ products are imported exclusively by CZ-USA, a wholly owned subsidiary of the parent company, Ceska Zbrojovka a.s. Uhersky Brod, (CZUB) of the Czech Republic.
CZ firearms have been available through normal channels in the US since 1991, through such importers/distributors as Bauska, Action Arms, Magnum Research.
In 1997 CZUB recognized the need to control its own destiny in a market as big as the US. Initially based in Oakhurst California, the CZ-USA headquarters and warehouse facility was moved to Kansas City in January of 1998.
All distribution, warranty work and repair work is located in the Kansas City KS. Location, along with a well stocked parts department. "

from cz-usa website

Last edited:

USNairman

My point was that CZ has a facility in the USA that supports their rifles and employees American citizens. I would imagine that if you nit picked hard enough you could probably find many "American" firearms that have parts made over seas.

Aren't Savage rifles made in Canada or is that just the Savage rimfires?

Besides that, I put my money down on the best product regardless of who makes it. I work too hard for my paycheck to just give it to a company because they are made in the USA. But hey, if anyone would rather give their money away for an inferior product just because it is made in the USA then that is your money and your decision.

sanson

I like savage. made in USA.. you can spend a lot or a little depending on which model you choose.. check their website