Recommend 4" 1911 in 9mm (or .45)

I am looking to sell my Springfield 5" Stainless 1911 in 9mm.
I would like to get something in 4" with a lighter frame. The Springer is a little heavy and big to carry. Also, I swear the slide moves in slow motion when firing.

I already have a Kimber Ultra Carry II in 9mm. Now I want something with a 4" barrel.

I would like to keep it around $800. What are your suggestions?
(as a side, recommend a .45 as well, just in case I change my mind)

VTRich

I have a Kimber Pro Tactical in 9mm which has been flawless for me. Alloy frame, so it's fairly light. I also hear good things about the Dan Wesson Guardian, although they have the 4.25" barrel, and a nice price tag to go with it.

Cemo

Kimber Custom Pro in 9mm. It is Kimber's entry level 1911. I think they make them in both steel and alloy. I have the alloy and it is a great pistol. The nine is fun to shoot in a 1911.

HKFan9

I just received my brand new Lightweight Champion Operator from Springfield. It is fitted tighter than any other gun I have owned. It still isn't broken in yet (not much for shooting in snow:rolleyes:) but it is very accurate and very manageable despite a 4'' barrel and a light weight aluminum frame. It is covered in SA's black Armory Kote (I think they call it). It is my new favorite gun, and once it is done being broken in, it will be my new carry gun.

michael t

Colt Lite weight Commander if you can find one .
Most commander size 4 1/4 inch won't be that much liter than 5"

If you don't want a 1911 type lots of choice Bersa makes a nice affordable
compact 45 Its DA/SA

Oldjarhead

I think in your price range, a Colt 1991A1 lightweight Commander, in .45acp would be an excellent choice. Slightly longer at 4.25" but reliable, accurate, and a five pound trigger pull right out of the box. No need to break it in either.

shanzlik

STI Ranger II is close to that price. I have both a .45 and 9mm. Very good shooters and well made right here in Texas. Has a steel frame but doesn't seem overly heavy to me.

STIRangerII14.jpg