Recomendations for a 308

leedesert

I'm looking for a 308 with scope to be used for tactical/target and occaisional deer hunting.

If purchasing used what would you recomend?
If purchasing new what would you recomend?

Either way I don't want to spend over $700

If you know some that I should clearly stay away from please let me know as well.

Thanks.

DAVID NANCARROW

You could do a lot worse than the Remington 700 VS in 308. I know a lot of people like the PSS model, but they cost more and from what I have seen, are not necessarily more accurate. Mine will do less than a half inch at 100 yards with careful handloads, and will do it with 150/165 grain ballistic tips as well as 155 grain Palma Match and 168 grain Sierra match as well. The VS sells new at the gunshows here in Texas brand new for around $550. I put a 1 1/2 inch nylon adjustable sling and a Simmons 6.5 x 20 x 50 scope and have taken 20 deer with it and lots of paper. I occasionally see them used, but the owners are asking a lot.
I saw the same scope for sale at a gunshow last year for $100, so it should keep you under 7 bills.

Bogie

For under $700...

The only answer would be a Savage 10FP. You'll have about $250-$300 left for scope and rings - I recommend Weaver mounts with Leupold QRW rings rather than the one piece. Lap your rings, and you'll never be sorry. Since we don't have a lot of cash to play with now, I'd go with a Swift scope or a fixed power Weaver V12.

For over $700, I'd just look for a better scope. I really like my 110FP... And my 12BVSS-S, and my plain-jane 110...

Sling Shot

You have two good rifles in the Remington 700 VS and the Savage 10FP. I can vouch for the 700 VS. They are very accurate, at least mine was. Half inch to three-quarter inch groups are the norm with Federal Gold Medal 180 gr. Had a lot of fouling at first, but that is what JB is made for. If I had the extra money to spare, I would take a careful look at the Remington LTR that has a 20 inch barrel and is much lighter. It is Just as accurate as the Remington VS or PSS that have 26 inch barrels and are much heavier to carry. By the way, the LTR stands for light tactical rifle. The LTR would be suited better for tactical, target, and deer hunting like you requested.
I know it is a little more than you want to spend, but to me this is an excellent choice for the things you want to do with it.
Sling Shot

henryj

Again,

Tikka Tikka Tikka Tikka

$575.00 for the All-Weather, add either Tikka rings (spendy but great) or a base and rings, and you're under $700, not counting optics.

Why am I so hot for Tikka? Glad you asked.

1.5 MOA with Brit .308 surplus

0.414 MOA at 100 yards with Fed 168 Gr. GMM from a rest

0.371 MOA at 200 meters with Georgia Arms 168 Gr. Match from a Harris bipod and my shoulder.

Owner adjustable trigger with instructions in the Owner's Manual, down to 2 lbs. and crisp as hell.

The synthetic stock fits well, apparently it was designed by a shooter who appreciates a palm swell.

Detachable 3 round mag with (expensive) 5 rounders available.

8 pounds total with a Weaver V-16.

Downsides?

1. Plastic bolt shroud and trigger guard

2. No room for customizing.

2. The stigma of low price.

Henry

leedesert

It looks like I may get the Savage 10FP in 308 for $450.

Some of you have recomended several type scopes but which ones and what power would be economical and suitable for Target/Tactical?
I may use it for hunting as well but I'm sure the same scope would be fine for dear.

DAVID NANCARROW

I use a Simmons 6.5x20x50 on my Rem VS with good success, and it works for deer/varmint/ paper poking very well, and for the money ($99 at the gunshows in Dallas) I haven't found much of anything which is quite as versatile for the dollar.

StephenT

Leedesert, good choice on the Savage 10FP. I got one of those last weekend with a 6X18X42 Simmons scope for a little more than $200. I'm happy with the accuracy, as mine is a tack driver at 100 yards, and I plan to try it at greater distances now. I paid $389 for the Savage, so maybe you can do slightly better than $450. Another choice for me might have been the HOWA 1500, but I opted for the Savage.

Steve Smith

I agree, I think you can get a better price for the Savage than $450. It's a very good rifle, and will allow you to put more $$$ toward good glass. To stay under your $700 limit, check out the Tasco Super Sniper at http://www.swfa.com for a great deal. All reports on this scope have been great. It will run $300 for the 10x42 model. They have been compared to Leupolds costing hundreds more.

Ark

I will add one more rifle to consider. It's Saiga in 308. I bought one six months ago for $450 scope and mount included. From my experience it's well made and very accurate gun based on proven AK design. Don't mix it with the regular Saiga in 7.62x39 which is modified version of AK47. It's parameters close to RPK. Just my two cents. Ark

Bogie

Whatever you do, spend the extra $20, and get a scope ring lapping kit. You'll want to use it on all your rifles.

Bogie

It's a steel bar, with lapping compound, that you put in your lower ring to ensure that they're dead-nuts square to each other. Makes sure your scope doesn't bind. Log onto sinclairintl, and you can check the prices...

leedesert

Thanks,
I found the Savage 10FP for $386 at Ultimate Outdoors with an $11 shipping charge.
I've noticed the different scope strengths but what do they mean? Ex: 6.5 X 20 X 50. What do each of the numbers represent?

What type sight picture am I looking for in a tactical scope. A wider one or narrow?

Which would be closest to a tactical scope, dear or target?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get smart fast.

DAVID NANCARROW

Keep asking questions-it helps. what a 6.5x20x50 means is that it is a zoom scope-from 6.5 power to 20 power, and the 50 means its objective lens (lens on the front of the scope) is 50mm in diameter. You may not need a 50mm objective if you do not hunt at first or last light, but the price of the scope is hard to beat. A disadvantage is the scope mount is going to be on the high side, so you might want to check something like this out at a gunstore. I happen to have a longer than average neck, so a high mounted scope may not be the hindrince others might not have. One more thing I should have mentioned is you will want to pick up and handle the rifles in question-nothing is so seldom used as an uncomfortable weapon! As for a do everything sight reticule, I would suggest the duplex. Its easy to sight thru as it has a cross hair which is relatively thick and tapers to a fine cross in the center, which helps in low light and the fine cross shows up very well in bright light. Target dots are okay until the distance gets out a ways-the dot at long distance will cover the target and then some.

Steve Smith

Actually, the scope specs should read: 6.5-20x50 not 6.5x20x50. 6.5-20 means that the magnification is adjustable from 6.5 times your eyesight to 20 times your eyesight (or how things appear to you). Thus, you're not multiplying 6.5 and 20 as many ignorant folks will say/write it. The spec is actually saying the scope will adjust from 6.5 power to 20 power. The 50 has to do with the size of lens toward the muzzle (objective). It stands for 50mm, which is the width of the lens. The larger the lens, the more light will come in. However, the larger the lens, the taller the scope mounts, and therefore a taller cheekrest is often needed. Most folks don't need a 50mm objective lens. My personal opinion is that for a tactical scope, you want either a mil-dot or a rangefinding scope. The duplex does not offer any type of rangefinding potential, short of the Tasco 30/30 style of rangefinding. Mil-dot types will tell you how far away something is as long as you know the item's height and the amout of area that your dots equal at a certain distance. A little math and you know how far it is away...then you make the appropriate click adjustments to match your bullet drop at that distance. What I just said is very simplified compared to what's involved, but if a Marine can do it, anyone can...right? ;) On the rangefinding types, the reticle is filled with differently shaped things, and the one that fits your target tells you how far the object is. This too is a simplified description. Check out http://www.springfield-armory.com for a description on how most rangefinding scopes work, and check out http://www.swfa.com/mildot/index.html for a description of the mil-dot concept.