Recoil Springs:How often do you replace?

TAZ

Subject sais it all. I have 2259 rounds through my Wilson CQB Compact and it appears the recoil spring has got to be replaced. A few weeks ago it satrted dinging brass into my face. Last night when I broke it down for cleaning I noticed that the nylon recoil spring guide/recoil buffer was smashed after only 300 rds. Not pleased at all.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Mostly, I change about every 3000 but really go until the action starts to appear sluggish. Hot loads make a difference. I almost started my rant about plastic parts where they don't belong, but am gritting my teeth to avoid saying it.

Jim

Mikey

One of the easiest ways to tell if you have the right spring weight and to check for a need to replace is simply to pay attention to where your brass lands during a firing session.

If it's going much more than 6 to 8 feet then the spring is too weak or is worn. If the brass goes less than 3 feet you might have too much spring weight.

Weak or worn recoil springs also account for a large percentage of failures to fully chamber.

Mikey

TAZ

I used to think the same thing about plastics, but have seen some really great things in that area so i hold my tongue also. Wilson's decided to replace the nylon part with a metal one under warranty so that eliminates the plastic issue for the future. The guy stated that springs should be replaced every 3-500 rds, but I think he got the buffer confused with the spring. My thoughts on the subject were 1.5-2K if shooting hot loads or 3-4K under normal wear.

F

faiello5

I think 1.5k - 4k is far too many rounds, regardless of how hot they are. Recoil springs are cheap insurance against unnecessary battering of the frame. I replace mine every 1k rounds. This may be overkill, but my guns are a lot more expensive than the replacement recoil springs I buy.

Frank