Recoil Spring Length Question

Handgunner00

The original recoil spring in my Dan Wesson Commander Classic has a 20 load rating and is 6" long. The replacement from Wolff, also a load rating of 20, is 4.5" long. Have read that a length variance of .5" or less is not an issue; this variance is 1.5" - too significant to ignore, I believe. Thoughts?

Peter

Handgunner00

Recoil Spring Questions - DW Commander 1911

No. The original 6" spring has 25 coils and the new 4.5" Wolff spring has 22.

Lurch37

Is the wire diameter the same?

I see on Brownells a Commander recoil spring from Ed Brown is 5 1/8 inches long. I believe that's for a 20lb.

Wolff lists a 20lb conventional Colt commander spring being part number 42220, is that what yours is?

Also, Wolff states factory standard as 18lb, but again that is Colt.

Handgunner00

I need to check the coil diameter sizes tomorrow. Yes, the Wolff part number is 42220. Wolff said this Colt Spring would be correct for my Dan Wesson. Not sure.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Have read that a length variance of .5" or less is not an issue; this variance is 1.5" - too significant to ignore, I believe.
I think that is more related to the spring length changing as a function of wear, less about the specifications of replacement springs.

There are a number of factors that go into spring ratings and free length is just one. It's possible to have two springs with the same rating but different free lengths if other parameters are changed to compensate for the free length difference.

You could call Wolff and ask them about it.

tangolima

Most likely they are equivalent. Same lock back force, and similar stored energy. I can calculate for you if you provide with the following info.

The length of the spring section stick out of the slide before compression. The slide's distance of travel to lock back.

The replacement spring is definitely stiffer, in terms of lbf/inch, or its Hooks constant. Since it has shorter natural length, Its compression force when installed in slide could be lower, so that energy stored when the slide locks back is the same as the original spring. I need the info to calculate.

On the other hand, I would shoot it to see how it works. If it works reliably, I wouldn't care.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Handgunner00

Recoil Spring Questions - DW Commander 1911

Lurch37: In response to your question, the diameter of each recoil spring is the same - 7/16 of an inch. So, the only variances are in the length and number of coils. I will add that racking the slide takes considerable effort with the original longer recoil spring. If the shorter Wolff spring is effective, I would welcome a reduction in effort to rack the slide.

Peter

Last edited:

Lurch37

If the shorter Wolff spring is effective, I would welcome a reduction in effort to rack the slide.

As long as your empties aren't being tossed 40 feet behind you a reduction in racking effort is nice. Give your new spring a try and see what you think.

As an aside, Wolff makes what they call Recoil Calibration Packs which allow you to tune your recoil to a specific load or if the original spring rating is unknown.