Recoil pads

headroom

Anybody out there have any likes or dislikes for aftermarker recoil pads for rifles. I have a Winchester Featherweight in 280 that will shoot one hole groups with 168 gr. Matchkings but its kind of brutal from the bench. Or would i be just better using a bag of lead shot between my shoulder and the stock while at the range.

Doug in PHX

Pachmayer (sp?) De-celerator, without a doubt. I have a 7 pound (with scope & sling attached) .308 with one of these pads on it. Really makes a difference.

Long Path

The Pachmayers are great, to be sure, and I have one on my sporter Springfield, but Headroom, how often are you really shooting the thing outside of hunting? A super lightweight accurate rifle is a wunnerful thing to have in the field, and the recoil pad WILL add weight. It also will change the length of pull, unless you hack some off your stock, and who wants to do that?

You never feel the recoil of the shot in the field.

May I suggest spending the money on a Past or is it Pabst Recoil Shield? They're made of elk skin and some kind of very resilient foam, and strap on quickly over your shooting shoulder. My arthritic father got one while working up loads in his .338 lightweight, and it really works off the bench, where recoil is heavier. In the field, of course, he leaves it at home. Price for the thicker "Magnum" model was $35.00, I think.