recoil lug alignment savage 111

stillquietvoice

new member to forum my question should the recoil lug be square to the action and barrel nut can misalignment cause inaccuracy how also i seem to have stress in the plastic stock cauding it to twist any thoughts thanks for help in advance

RC20

Welcome to the group.

I am not trying to knock you but your post is unclear.

You are asking two questions in one sentence about two items without any back ground details.

List the caliber (always helps the people answering to focus) as well as why you are asking the question.

something like

I picked up a new Savage 111 in 300 WM. the recoil lug looks to be crooked. Is that normal? I.e. is it self centering?

The barrel nut also looks to be non square with the receiver, cross threaded maybe.

Otherwise my take is you picked up a used rifle that someone change the barrel on and then did not go thorough the correct seating procedure to set the lug but that's a guess.

Until better details are submitted I would recommend you not fire that rifle and maybe even after they are.

stillquietvoice

its a used savage 111 in 243 win . i opened barrel chanel some to reduce pressure from flex of syn stock . first i noticed the stock twist when screws tightened then found misalignment looks like reciever is not square .

RC20

A bit clearer.

Is the barrel nut alignment part of question with the receiver not aligning or does it looks off as well?

stagpanther

Savage "plasti-stocks" often look out of alignment when sighting the barrel channel at the fore-end portion of the stock--that is not abnormal.

There is a specific sequence for aligning and screwing the top action portion of the rifle to the stock in order to get the proper alignment--if not followed that could result in a bad alignment--and having the recoil lug not properly aligned and engaged can be a dangerous condition. Do not be tempted to simply torque down the screws as tightly as you can in order to get the right alignment.

If you simply can't get proper alignment you may need a new stock. Of course many will say get a wood one--but I think an excellent replacement one can be had with a Hogue overmold pillar-bedded one and is very price-competitive, I found one for one of my 111's for around $75.00 a few years ago. I'd also get a spare set of receiver screws. My less than 2 cents.:)

stillquietvoice

i will have it checked by my smith to have lug issue fixed. a new stock may be procured as well. personally i like wood for my guns, bought this rifle 2 yrars ago. shoulder surgery limits recoil tolerance. iused to shoot 30.06 and 7mm mag, but cant right now.

T. O'Heir

"...opened barrel channel some to reduce pressure..." That'll make the flexing worse with a synthetic. Needs stiffening, not thinning. Said stiffening can be done with Al tubes like arrow shafts being epoxied into the barrel channel.
Mind you, if you're planning on another stock anyway, leave it. Boyd's is selling some nice laminates for decent prices. Absolutely must be fitted though.
Shoulder surgery is going to limit more than the recoil too.

stagpanther

I've done "stiffie jobs" on 5 plasti-stocks including axes, 111's and Ruger American. At first I did the rod channel thing--but my experience was it was more trouble than it was worth because you have to dremel down the cross-ribs in the fore-end in order to get a full length rod to work. What I do now is simply fill the forend chambers up with epoxy (I prefer marine tex or RC7) while making sure I don't fill above the cross ribs or get anything into the lug slot. I also fill the buttstock area including the "wrist" with envirotex by taking the buttpad off and filling from that end. Envirotex must have oxygen to cure--so I simply lean the stock up inside a trashcan for 24 hours. The fore-end channel can be trimmed back so that the barrel truly free-floats and the filled buttstock will help dampen recoil as well as reduce flex. It adds a bit of weight--but not much. Might cost you about $20 in materials. My "Tupperware" rifles shoot noticeably tighter and more consistent groups after this simple fix.

As always--your results may vary