Recoil Buffer for 1911??

Sulaco2

Took my new Kimber Ten II out to the range for the first time and before leaving broke it down, cleaned and lubed it. I bought it at a show but it is little if any used. The old owner had installed a plastic recoil buffer, but after 200 breakin rounds when I got home and broke the gun down again the buffer was shredded - pulled taffy shreds hanging all over the recoil well of the gun and sticking to the spring! Reading the manual it says the springs for the .45 is good to nearly 2000 rounds. So I am wondering if anybody had experiance with the buffers and an opinion (NO Here?;)) if a SD gun should have such stuff or is it better left off and as the builder intended? Maybe an old buffer?, when I got out the box of buffers I have had for some time they seemed real soft to me, indented with a finger nail easy, not like the hard plastic rings they were when I bought them.

By the way the Kimber was a jamamatic until the 150 round mark then began to run smoothly. A SWAT shooter on the range with me said he was just noting the smoothed out running of his Kimber after 1000 rounds. Talk about tight!!

Slopemeno

They have a habit of coming apart. I used them for a season or two, until one came apart in a match, so I left it out and didn't look back.

BikerRN

If you change your Recoil Springs at "appropriate" intervals you shouldn't need a Buffer.

Many people use them to lessen the impact on the gun, when firing buckets of ammo. I find it easier to change the spring every 1000 - 1500 rounds. I also don't find that they lessen the felt recoil, but that's just me. YMMV.

Biker

Brian48

I used to use them quite a bit, especially in my Delta Elite when digesting full-house 10mm loads, but I don't bother with them any more these days. So long as you don't have any short stroke issue with them installed, I don't see a problem using them for range use. Like many, I would not use them for duty carry. I have had only one incident in which a buffer was completely shredded and that was with a gun using a woefully (and I mean woefully) under powered recoil spring.

vox rationis

My CQB works fine with it, it came that way from Wilson, however I just took it out to see if I'll miss it, but I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun without it. The guys at Pistol Dynamics pretty much hate them and say they screw up the 1911's timing and don't recommend them in their particular 1911's for what that's worth. And I agree with those that say that if you use the gun for SD it is not a good idea to have in there as it can rip and jam your gun at the most inopportune time.

RickB

If they last a long time, you don't need them, and if they don't last very long, you don't want them in there breaking-up and perhaps causing a malfunction.
I have a Hiett .090" buff in my competition longslide .45, and after something like 3000 rounds, there was only a small indication of contact between the slide and the buffer; that gun definitely doesn't need a buffer. My IDPA gun will cut a buff in 250 rounds, and I can't risk the buff coming apart during a match, so that gun doesn't get a buff, either.

Sulaco2

Interesting, thanks guys. I add to this I took a look at Buffer Tech web site and they are now asking $9+ (with shipping $12+) for a single buffer:eek:. There has got to be at least .10 cents worth of plastic in the buffer for crying out loud!

What do you think about the buffers for rifles like the Mini 14, AR/15's and M1 Garands etc?

WESHOOT2

whispers

After it was whispered that certain very special folks might have them in their 1911s I decided to retest them in three of my four 1911s.

One, in 9x19, came back from specializing at EGW with one.
I installed one in one 45 and 40 1911.
So far so fine.
Whatever....

cjw3cma

Personal preference. I use them in my 1911 full size. They need to be changed - just like your underwear. If you don't change them they will fail.

BikerRN

Personal preference. I use them in my 1911 full size. They need to be changed - just like your underwear. If you don't change them they will fail.

Some of us don't wear underwear. :D

Biker

R_CRUZ

CP buffers

After testing different buffer brands, I exclusively use CP buffers and replace them every 1K as well as the recoil spring (Wolff 16 lbs). No problems whatsoever since 2003.

csmsss

I use them, or not. Doesn't seem to matter to my pistol with them in or out. Doesn't seem to matter if they're brand new or whether there are many rounds on them.

Not something I would worry about one way or the other.

KyJim

Any quality pistol should last just fine without buffs. Many people who shoot competitively with buffs won't carry with buffs. It's just one more thing to potentially go wrong.

Chui

I've put 5,500 rounds thru one with a TRP and the buffer looks fine. I was using 99% Winchester White Box. She also runs well without. So I dunno. It's a sample of only one... :confused:

skeeter

I use buffers, especially in aluminum frame 1911's, for target practice only. Never would consider it a self defense weapon with a buffer installed. Even a fresh one can come apart after several mags though they usually last way longer.

roklok

I use Wilson buffers in my 1911s, including the one I carry on duty. I am of the opinion that eliminating steel slamming into steel cant be a bad thing. I have tested these buffers in temps down to -50 F and have never had one come apart. I inspect the buffer each time I clean my pistol, once it starts to get a groove cut into it, I replace it. I know from experience that if buffer gets a DEEP groove cut into it, the slide can actually stick in it and fail to return to battery.