Recoil 9mm vs. 40S&W

mitchcoyote

I am going to buy a Taurus Mill Pro in either 9mm or 40 S&W and would like to know how much diferrence in the recoil would be?

silver-bullet

I used to own the Taurus Mil-Pro in 9mm, and thought the recoil was extremely manageable; really not an issue at all. I haven't fired the Mil Pro in .40, but I do own a full-size .40 and I would be willing to bet that the recoil in the smaller/lighter Taurus would be pretty stiff. Probably not unbearable, but I doubt you'd want to endure a long shooting session of, say, 300 rounds at the range. The 9mm would definitely be a more pleasant weapon to shoot, which will allow for more practice, which would promote greater confidence and skill. Best of luck!

Mikeyboy

+1 Silverbullet I have shot similar sized glocks in 9mm,.40 and .45 and the .40 S&W is "Snappy-er" than a 9mm, but it is not brutally worse. The Taurus Mil Pro is small so it is going to have some kick, but I think they have a .45 version so it not going to be as bad as that. If your ok with the Mil pros recoil at 9mm you will probably be OK at .40 , if you think the 9mm has a lot of "pop" then stick with the 9mm because the .40 will have more.

I have a mil pro 40 and I dont think the recoil is bad at all. I was very surprised, I've fired 220 rounds through the thing, its not bad at all. In my opinion, the modest increase in recoil is worth the extra punch of the 40, plus it makes a bigger hole.:D

Moloch

With hotter ammo in the 135-165 section it can be really 'flippy'' and the muzzle rises high, but nothing to worry about. There is no push but there is a flip. Not much different than a 9mm, and equal a 9mm+p.

Mosin44az

The .40 will provide significantly more felt recoil. You don't say what your experience level is, but to start with the 9mm is better for reasons stated above.

If you can rent them, or something roughly equivalent, like a Glock 26 and 27, that should give you an idea also.

Last edited:
About The Same!

dont be fooled, like i was two years ago, when buying my first pistol. my first pistol was a 9mm over a .40, cause i read all over the internet that "the .40 is just to powerful", "the .40 hurts my wrist after 50rds", and "the .40 is so darn near uncontrolable that accurate follow up shots are very difficult to do". thats is all just bu!!****. the .40 is not bad at all, and does feel about the same as a +P 9mm. and if you use this gun for CCW, you would probably use +P 9mm any way (which would kick like a .40). so just get the .40 for defense, the only bad thing abou the .40 is the price compared to the 9mm. i have a USP 9mm, and a USP .40 slighty more recoil with the .40 (but still very managable). i own the GLOCK 17, have fired the GLOCK 22, and felt about 5%-10% more recoil with it then compared to the GLOCK 17. so go for the .40, and get mo' power!

WESHOOT2

opinion

FOR ME, the 40 S&W feels much harsher, with more muzzle movement.

I can use the same frame for both cartridges (among others) so I can make direct comparisons.

I recommend the 9x19.

jclaude

9mm v 40 S&W Recoil

I have Browning High Powers in 9mm and 40 S&W. In these frames, the recoil difference is minimal. The 40 S&W obviously has a lttle more, but again, in this frame size, the difference in felt recoil would not be a significant factor in making the choice between the 2 cartridges.

HSMITH

40 recoils quite a bit harder than 9mm, and 45 acp for that matter. I shoot 9mm and 40 side by side in essentially identical pistols, two different models and styles of guns. There is no mistaking one for the other.

massman

9mm vs. 40S&W

I find the 9mm has less felt recoil, but I am not talking +p rounds as I have not shot any recentyl to compare. The 40S&W vs. the 45, I don't feel any real difference. As stated above, try both and then make a decision.

trigger happy

I would rather have a 9mm but you wouldn't know that if you looked at my collection..but I can't turn down a good bargain..these guys buy these big bores and can't afford to keep them..:)

jclaude

Perplexed

A little perplexed at what loads you guys ae running thru your 40s that make them whip around so badly and make them recoil more than your 45s. It just doesn't seem to match the impressions I've developed with my limited experience with the cartridge.

I have always considerd myself to be fairly recoil sensitive, certainly compared to many of the silouette shooters in my gun club. I made the mistake of purchasing a 44 Mag way back when I was a much younger man. It had to be one of the worst things I ever did for my handgun shooting. It was a J.P. Sauer & Sons (Hawes) Cattleman with a 6" barrel and small, really slick wooden grips. It was absolutely painful to fire more than just a few rounds.

Please help me to understand what I'm missing here!

Thanks.

Last edited:

HSMITH

All I ever shoot in 40 is full power 180's, from about 950 FPS to about 1100 FPS. In 9mm I shoot 115's at around 1150, and 147's around 950.

Energy figures:

40= about 440 lb/ft

9mm 115 = about 340 lb/ft
9mm 147 = about 300 lb/ft

Pretty significant difference.

IndianaDean

It depends. I love the recoil on the 9, not crazy about the .40. I cannot shoot the .40 rapidly without the brass coming right back into the face, burning me sometimes. I can shoot .45s rapidly without this happening. The only .40 I've been able to handle really well has been the Glock 23.

mitchcoyote

I have decided to stick with the 9mm. I practice double tapping and multiple shots anyway. The Mill Pro 9mm has 12 round magazine so will be adequate....