Recoil: .380 vs .38spl

Wishoot

Hi All,

I have an LCR, but it's not very pocket-carry friendly IMO (I'm in suits or business casual often). The recoil doesn't bother me all that much and I can actually make center-mass shots at 25 yards.

I'm thinking about getting an LCP or Budyguard for true pocket carry. I have every intention of trying these out at the range one of these days, but I'd like to hear back from those of you that have shot BOTH a snub .38 and a .380 (LCP, Bodyguard or the like).

Is there a noticeable difference in recoil between the two?
Which get's you back on target quicker?

Thanks for your help.

baddarryl

I asked a similar question regarding my mom who doesn't like her Taurus 85. Thought dropping to a .380 would help. The consensus was that most small .380's will kick harder other than the Colt Govt and Sig 238 because of their blow back designs. Going to check out one of those for sure.

momano

I put Pachmayr grips on my S&W 442, and the recoil is much more manageable. I prefer my 442 to my Kel tec P3AT for CC. Good luck!

Aristides

It's the design of pistol as much as the caliber.

My Sig P238 380 shoots noticeably softer than my Beretta Cheetah 380, even thought the Sig is alot smaller.

The Sig 380 also shoots softer than my Colt Cobra 38 Special.

pelo801

It's the design of pistol as much as the caliber.
yes, i agree, it's the design of the pistol. i own both a lcr and lcp. but i don't agree, it's as much the caliber. while i can shoot both guns with good control, i find the lcr gets back on target quicker, even shooting +P. i have never shot the buffalo bore mentioned earlier, so i can't say for that loading. but i think it's due to the grip. with the lcp, for the size of my hand, i really only have two fingers on it. with the lcr, i have my whole hand on the grip. i think that makes reacquisition easier. but if you want true pocket carry, small gun means small grip. but they're not really an aim type of gun. more of a point and shoot gun.

michael t

Since I carry a older Model 49 bodyguard. Not a light frame I don't find +P recoil all that bad. But I carry a KelTec 380 a lot more Just smaller and flatter in pocket , Also more shots.

As for weight I have never had a problem with the weight of a steel frame I pocket carry. I use a DonHume pocket holster Carries fine . I carried a PPK/S also with Don Hume . I really don't understand the need for these light kicking snub nose. Maybe its because I grew up and started packing steel guns That the weight non issue to me . I fired 5 rounds +P from a lite S&W snub. Gave back to owner No interest in owning one. He shot 50+ that day and traded couple days later . He also found recoil not to his liking.