Rechambering SD loads after practice?

Dashunde

{{{{Well... I came up with the question after reading a recent thread on a G23 kaboom and didnt find Sturmgewehre's thread with the video prior to starting this one. So disregard if you wish.}}}}

After proofing my SD rounds in my ccw's, I practice with WallyWorld Federal FMJ and rechamber the SD ammo when I leave the range, and then again after cleaning, and then again after...

I wonder if rechambering those SD loads after practice is seating the round too deeply and is increasing chamber pressures excessively?

My little LCP is easy on its ammo, but I have two other ccw's that I'm concerned about:
My PM9 is extraordinarily hard on ammo and noticeably deep-seats the Federal stuff ifs repeatedly rechambered (experimenting).
The SD rounds fare much better, but still seat just a hair deeper after two or three rechambers.

My G27, its much kinder to the ammo with no noticeable additional seating, but still... its a .40 and not to be toiled with.

What would the maximum allowable additional OAL reduction be for a +p 9mm and a standard 40?

Last edited:

ohen cepel

I make a point of firing my SD ammo every couple of months. The rechamber reason is part of it, plus, it may have been exposed to sweat, moisture, etc. while carrying it.

Plus, it builds my confidence that it and the mag will run right.

TailGator

I do what MLeake said. Specifically, I put the most recently chambered round upside down in the box. When reloading, it goes in first, and is therefore rotated to the bottom of the mag.

Dashunde

Hey all, I just became aware of Sturmgewehre's prior thread/video on the subject (Thanks Mike), so we can let this one die I suppose.