Rechambering 300 Weatherby

Leif

Strange question, maybe. I was at a local gun store this evening and saw an interesting custom Mauser 98 with a beautiful Mannlicher stock for a reasonable price. However, it was chambered for 300 Weatherby.

Now, I know nothing about the Weatherby cartridges, other than they are expensive and that many people seem to think that their superfluous. My question is, can a rifle chambered for 300 Weatherby be converted easily to a different cartridge, preferably a more readily available or less expensive cartridge?

Thanks in advance.

Okiewhitetail

Ive got a weatherby in 300 wby mag and i love it wouldnt trade it for the world. I do however shot it less because of the ammunition prices. I have tried many different rounds the best is weatherby factory ammo but for just target and enjoyment shooting remington core lokt is only 32.00 a box. This is definatly one of my favorite rounds and 180gr rounds hit hard and solid.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Seems to me that if you're hunting in the northeastern US, the .300 Wby is overkill at both ends. If it's a really nice gun and the price is low enough, it might be worth doing the re-barrel.

Or take up handloading. You can always learn how to download to, say, .308 or '06 characteristics. And who knows? You might get to hunt in elk or moose country.

Art

Jim Watson

A '98 Mauser in .300 Weatherby would have had the bolt face widened and the extractor claw cut back for the belted magnum casehead, the magazine lengthened for the full length magnum cartridge, and the magazine rails widened for the larger diameter cartridge. I just can't see a way to get back to something common that would not buy a lot of Weatherbys.

Pointer

can a rifle chambered for 300 Weatherby be converted easily to a different cartridge, preferably a more readily available or less expensive cartridge?

Succinctly... NO

It is a bigger case than the other 30 calibers...

What makes it great is the extra 200 to 400 fps of muzzle velocity depending on which .30 you compare it to.

It has a larger powder capacity and it has double-radiused shoulders on the case... ART is right about the so-called overkill... it kicks smartly and it also hits the target very hard and it does it with heavier weight bullets than the other .30's.

There is one point though... overkill is a whole lot better than not using enough gun... :eek: