Reccomend me a 3 inch 1911 9mm.

D-Bak

I went to the shop today looking to purchase a S&W M&P9c, and just for giggles took a look at a Kimber Ultra Aegis laying close by. All I can say is wow. I have never even considered buying a small frame 1911, but now i want one, and i want one bad. So what other models are there from all makers in this platform? I have basically only seen the EMP and then this Kimber. What else should I look at before buying? Looking for a 3 inch 1911 in 9mm . Thanks guys

D-Bak

Whirlwind06

IMO
Buy a commander sized 1911. You will be happier in the long run.
Those micros look like a 1911. But not many 1911 parts will fit on them.

ranburr

IMO
Buy a commander sized 1911. You will be happier in the long run.
Those micros look like a 1911. But not many 1911 parts will fit on them.

You are only right where the EMP is concerned. For evey other 3" 1911 on the market, recoil spring systems and the msh are the only two parts that don't interchange with any other 1911. I prefer the Colt Defenders. Good guns and they are the only 3" that you don't have to hunt for a paperclip to tear the thing down.

pesta2

Say Playboypenguin and Sturmgewehre 3 times and they will both show up and tell you about their compact 1911s.:)

nass

Kimber and Springfield are the only readily available 3 inch 9mm 1911s... Both are pretty pricy, but not more than the 45 version.

That leads me to my point, why 9mm if it is in the same size that a 45 comes in? 9 doesn't have many advantages IMO.

Personally I own all sizes of a 1911 (3, 4.25, 5) all in 45. If I need small for concealment, I just got a Kahr PM9. Way smaller and lighter than my ultra carry.

Say Playboypenguin and Sturmgewehre 3 times and they will both show up and tell you about their compact 1911s
I do not own a compact 9mm and Sturm is afraid to show his wimpy little 9mm EMP knowing I will pull out my compact .45 Slim Hawg making him feel emasculated. :D

As for the original post, if you want a 3" 9mm, you just can't beat the EMP. If you want to move up to a man's caliber try the Para ord Slim Hawg. :)

Here is a pic of the Slim hawg I took yesterday and an overlay showing how it compares to the compact Smith j-frame size wise.

Hawg.jpg

Hawg-Jcomp.jpg

STAGE 2

Can't speak to a 9mm, but my Kimber RCP has been flawless and is incredibly accurate for a 3" 1911 with no sights at all.

IdahoG36

Try a Colt Pocket Nine. Only 6000 or so were made. I don't know how easy they are to find, but a local gunstore here has two. I really thought it would make a nice carry piece.

That Pocket Colt is small. Not much biggerthan the PPK. The Slim Hawg is not much bigger than the PPK either and has the advantage of being a bigger caliber. If you are willing to deviate from the 1911 platform you might want to consider the kahr MK40. it is a .40S&W and is not bigger than the PPk either.

Hawg-PPK.jpg

Hawg-Kahr.jpg

i actually looked at the hawg 9 today online also.... anybody have any experience with this?
I have shot one once. I had no problems with that particular gun but I only shot two mags through it (about two dozen rounds). I am leary of the double stack paras though. I tried one out once. It did not go well. Lots o jams and misfeeds. Granted the gun was brand new and not "broken in" yet. Still, I was discouraged.

A little while later my dealer told me that the problems the Wathawgs experience early on seemed to be only in the double stack models. He told me if I liked the single stack he would order one and if I did not like it after the first week he would give me a full refund.

I took him up on this offer and now I must admit that the gun has been flawless and that it is probably my favorite auto in my collection.

even11

Kimber and Springfield are the only readily available 3 inch 9mm 1911s... Both are pretty pricy, but not more than the 45 version.

What about the Para Carry 9? Its all but identical in size to the EMP. One less round, but the LDA trigger. I dont have one (yet) but i want one. There's rumors of it coming out in .40 too. I was posting almost this same question yesterday.

Doesnt the Colt defender have a full size 1911 grip and magazine? I know it is at least an inch taller than the ones listed here. I'm sure its a nice pistol but not really in the same class as the ones we are discussing.

There's my 2c on the subject. -Dane