Rebuilt/Remanufactured experience.

Tokamak

When I was in electronics we would get a piece of equipment in that had blown a 2 cent fusing resistor. We would fix it and the stuff was as good as new, but we could not sell it as new. We would sell it for 1/2 price as factory refurbished. I KNEW those were a real value.

I have been seeing adds for rebuilt pistols but am not a gunsmith. Are these guns terrific values or something to steer away from? Are some better than others? For example, Kahr sells refurbished with a 1 year warrenty. (there is a U stamped on the trigger guard)

Then there is this site selling rebuilt pistols:
FEG and I know nothing about them.

What is the general concensus? Is a refurbished better than just used? I would think so. Is there a chance of getting burned? Do you get a great value? What is the scoop? Anyone have experience with this?

NCHornet

It all depends on what the cost savings is. If it is $50 cheaper than a new gun, I will buy new. Also depends on the gun and how many runds have been though it, you can take a gun with 20,000 rounds down the tube, and have the manufacturer replace a spring or extractor and sell the gun as referbished and you still have a gun with 20,000 rounds through it. I close inspection is needed, I also wouldn't buy it if it had a marking on it, as resale further down the line would be lower. It would have to be a heck of a deal for me to consider one.

candr44

I have bought several pistols from SSME and have always been satisfied. They are a importer and their Feg pistols aren't refurbished they are new and imported by them. However, their surplus pistols are often refurbished by the governments that owned them. The governments seem to do a good job of refurbishing their own pistols. governments aren't profit motivated when it comes to replacing parts.

I bought a new Feg P9M with a matching serial numbered .40 caliber conversion kit from them and have been satisfied with it. I also bought a CZ50, CZ70, and Walther P1 and all are in excellent condition.

I live near them and have seen their stock at gun shows and I don't think I have ever seen them selling any well used or poorly taken care of junk. Surplus usually isn't well used if it was for the police or a military that didn't go to war. Just make sure it was taken care of.