Rebluing Milsurp

thebucket

I picked up for myself a surplus Turkish Mauser today. It's in moderate condition. Fairly dirty and needs a good clean-up and the stock is banged up a bit. The big problem (if it is a problem) is that the barrel's bluing is completely gone (If it was blued in the first place. Hard to tell.) The barrel and action have no problematic corrosion on them. They are a little speckled but no pitting and such. Would it be a good idea to reblue the metal or just wipe it down at each cleaning with a guncloth? The guncloth works well on my sword but swords and guns are a little different.

Tom2

Leave it be?

I might just leave it alone except for removing any red rust-it will leave a dark spot or a pit, but not look quite as bad. You will probably tell if the barrel was blue when you take it out of the stock. Bottom may still be blued.
Probably worn off from handling. Sometimes just a little wd40 and 0000 steel wool will clean it up but don't need to rub hard till it is shiny! Can even clean up rust speckles on blued steel if you don't rub too hard with the four ought. You could polish the barrel up, degrease it, and apply the cold blue. But I find it is harder to make it even on large surfaces. Maybe you could get better results than me. Or a gunsmith could probably put a glass beadblast matte blue on the gun for not alot of money-does not require the labor intensive polishing. But we are talking about spending alot of money on an inexpensive rifle? I would clean all the dried grease and crud out of the thing and re-oil it to make it safe to fire, assuming that it has no mechanical defects that would mean otherwise. Even dried grease inside the bolt can slow down the firing pin and make for misfires, in extreme cases. Better read up on Mauser disassembly. Likely same as any model 98

ksstargazer

finish

I have reblued my Turk and it does look nice. I also refinished the walnut stock. I wanted to have a milsurp that looks like it just came out of the factory. However, I have a Finnish SKy M39 and it has no blue at all on it. What is fun for me, is to take this old rifle with its rough stock to the range and shoot groups that amaze guys with brand new guns. There is something that intrigues me about an old war rifle that looks like it just came out of the trench and yet shoots very well.