Rebarreling Kimber 84L - 6.5x284

jackstrawIII

Hey guys,

I have a Kimber 84L that's a very nice rifle... I just can't get it to shoot. So, I'm thinking about a rebarrel and figured I'd go with 6.5x284. Here are the questions for those of you who have customized a long action 84 Classic:

1. Should I go with a slightly heavier barrel contour than the factory sporter? Would this improve the accuracy, or not necessarily? I wouldn't want to go much heavier, but I'd be willing to go a bit heavier if it meant better accuracy.

2. Should I have them re-bed the action while I'm at it? I've heard that can help with Kimbers that don't shoot.

3. Anything else I should do in order to help assure that this gun will shoot well?

4. Any feeding or cycling issues going to the slightly fatter x284 case in this action?

5. Is this a dumb idea all the way around? I'm expecting to end up with a finished gun that's well under MOA, should I build on something else or is this attainable with the Kimber action and wood stock?

Thanks!!

stagpanther

I don't know anything about the kimber but do know a bit about the 6.5 - 284. A superb cartridge but its reputation as a bore cooker is not undeserved; I treat it as a "consumable barrels" cartridge and don't mind swapping barrels out.

taylorce1

I've never owned a Kimber either. I know some guys who have rebarreled them use the Lilja Mod84m contour, it finishes about .05" larger diameter at 22" than the standard 84m factory contour. I do realize yours is the 84L action, but I don't think there is a huge difference if any in the barrel contours.

There is alot to wade through here. It's on the Kimber Montana, but some could apply to your rifle as well. The only bad part is a lot of the pictures are missing.

Scorch

Should I go with a slightly heavier barrel contour than the factory sporter?
Kimber factory barrels are very lightweight. So yes, a #2 or #3 is always a good bet.
Should I have them re-bed the action while I'm at it?
Again, yes. Kimber stocks are machine inletted, and although thet look nice and clean they dont always fit the action well.
Any feeding or cycling issues going to the slightly fatter x284 case in this action?
It's possible, but I have seen a lot of standard cartridge rifle actions just swallow up a 284 case. If you want to avoid any issues, go with a standard diameter case.
Is this a dumb idea all the way around?
No, its very doable.

jackstrawIII

So, I have to tell you guys…

I was about to move forward with modifying/selling this rifle, when I figured I’d try one more time. I’d already messed with seating depth quite a bit, but figured I’d go a bit further.

Long story short, this gun shoots .6” groups with Barnes LRX bullets seated around 3.28 inches. I’m shocked. And very pleased. Guess I’ll keep it as it is.

Thanks for the feedback, especially you, Scorch.