Rebarreling a S&W 627?

Skans

I am stuck on having something that simply isn't made. I want a S&W 627 with the 2.625" barrel. And, I want the fluted cylinder. I think it would be cheaper and easier to buy a decent used 627 4" - since there are more of these around, and then pay a gunsmith to put the short barrel on the gun.

Are the short 2.625" barrels available from S&W? Does anyone have any idea (assuming barrels are available) how much it would cost (barrel included) to swap out for the shorter barrel?

The reason I want to go this rout rather than swap out cylinders is because I am concerned about timing issues, especially with an 8 round cylinder - is this just plain silly??

T. O'Heir

"...how much it would cost..." A BNIB 627 runs a grand. Used 4" 627's start running around $800.
Start there and call some local smithies about prices and how long.
I'm not seeing any N frame barrels anywhere, including Smith's site. That usually means cu$tom.
Don't think it comes with a fluted cylinder. The M327 does though. That'd require hand fitting, if you can find one.
Muzzle blast is reported as significant with a great deal of velocity loss too. Firing that 2" 327 would be like having the Sun in your hand. snicker.
Rummage around here.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html