Reasonably priced 22 semi-auto rifle

braindead0

I've got a friend who wants to get an AR-10 or AR-15, he's never done much shooting before so I convinced him to start with a .22 so he can get a ton of practice in for cheap.

Out here is looks like Ruger 10/22, Remington 597 and Savage models are almost always on sale.

Any comments on accuracy, reliability.. or other suggestions?

I know the Ruger will be pretty darn reliable, but I'm not sure about it's accuracy (or potential)...

nine fingers

All of the rifles you have listed will do fine. I'd just add the Marlin Model 60. It is not very sexy to look at and uses a tube magazine, but it is very reliable, accurate and inexpensive.

foghornl

Oldest brother has a 10/22 thats about 8 years old. Can still write his initials on a doorknob accross the street........

Jamis

I heard from a lot of folks that aren't happy with the Remington. The Ruger is a proven design with an excellent reputation.

braindead0

Scope mounts

Can all these models accept a scope mount? I noted on the Ruger website it seems to indicate the 10/22's all come with a scope mount, but my friend was looking at one at a local store and the guy said he'd have to buy one...

I think his plans may eventually include some form of HP rifle competition, and he'd like to be able to switch from scope to iron sights easily.

That may help limit the list?

Thanks folks!

vertigo7

Back in January I bought a Savage .22LR semi-auto from Wal-Mart for around $100 so I could shoot a lot for cheap. It uses 10rd detachable magazines and was already dovetailed to mount some optics. I picked up a "Tasco 3x-7x riflescope for .22 caliber rifles and airguns" for $10. It came with rings and mount to attach the scope, and it fit the dovetail on my rifle perfectly.

I finally got around to taking it to the range last Sunday and was quite happy with its performance. I still need to adjust the optics a bit to correct point of aim, but it grouped very well even if not dead-center yet. The iron sights were dead on from the start. Switching from scope to iron sights was simple, just loosen 2 screws on the scope mount and slide off. My only complaint is having to reload the dinky 10rd magazines so often. :D If I could get some 20 or 30 rounders for it, I'd be happier. For that reason, the 10/22s may have the edge.

vertigo7

I like my 597

I have a Remington 597. It's the nicest semi auto .22 rifle I've seen. I have the Laminated Stock Stainless model. Not only does it look sweet, it shoots sweet too. Just last week me and a friend were shooting targets at about 170 yards. I was able to hit empty jelly jars quite easily by holding over for the range. I'm using a scope sighted in for 50 yards. What made me choose this rifle though was the open sights. They are far far better than what you'll get on either the Ruger or Savage .22's. I think the overall quality of the 597's is better too. The bolt rides on a pair of rails similar to some higher quality assault rifles I've read about. I've put at least 500 rounds through it at a stretch without cleaning and it still functioned perfectly. I do recommend getting the newer metal magazines for it. The plastic mags the come with these rifles are 10 rounders mine only fed 5-7 rounds reliably depending on the ammo. I got a couple of metal ones at Walmart for $10 a piece and they hold and feed 10 rounds flawlessly. My gun loves CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers. Give them a try if your friend goes the 597 route.

Gary

braindead0

Well, one of the best points about shooting .22 is cheap ammo, if you're shooting Mini-mags and Stingers that sorta defeats the purpose (albeit they are still relatively cheap).

Swamp Yankee

I'll throw my hat in the Ruger 1022 pile.

It's a great shooter out of the box. If you don't care for plain vanilla, there are accessories and aftermarket parts galore to transform the 1022 into anything your heart desires.
Take Care

JimFromFL

I would stick with the 10/22. It is not only proven, but it also has the most accessories available due to its popularity.

I would also suggest one or two of the 25 round mags and a mag loader.

Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

braindead0

I'm pretty familier with the 10/22, friend had one and we used to shoot it a lot. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something better before I recommend this.

johnwill

Better? No Way! :D:D

Ruger%2010-22.jpg

Lone Star

Why does no one ever list the Marlin M795 when this topic comes up? It's light, handy, the synthetic stock is durable, and the one I had worked fine. I prefer its box magazine to tubular magazines, which I think are inherently less safe; too easy to "lose" a round in some. (That may just be my emotional reaction to them.)

Some have been made in stainless, but dealers where I live have carried only blue, and even they are hard to find. Pity.

If anyone else here has tried the M795, what did you think of it?

Lone Star

Snowdog

Absolutely

I would also recommend the Marlin model 60. They can be purchased new for under a hundred in most cases. I'm on my second one and I wouldn't be without it.

jjmorgan64

Another vote for the Marlin 60, Cheap, solid, accurate

If you want a project, as well as a gun then definately go with the 10/22, most people who start tinkering with them never finish, there is always one more goody to put on:)

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Most an ol' .22 semi will do the trick for a new shooter.

Accuracy has more to do with what you feed it than the shooters themselves. I've seen a few "dogs" that really sat up & barked when fed a different diet.

Get what feels right, grab a box of a few different cheap-o fodder & walk 'em through some targets & see what the gun likes. Buy a bunch of that.

(we've at least 5 different .22LR semis & they all seem to like different stuff to really shine)

justice4all

The first gun I bought, and the only one I ever parted with, was a Marlin Model 60. It was a great rifle, and killed many an Ohio woodchuck, but I wanted something that could hold more rounds. At the time 30 and 50 round magazines for the 10/22 were only about $14 from Gander Mountain, so I sold the Marlin to a buddy, and upgraded to the Ruger. Both guns performed flawlessly; my decision was based solely on a preference for high capacity box magazines over the tube on the Marlin. Today, the magazines for the Ruger would likely cost almost as much as the rifle, and the Marlin holds something like 18+1 in the tube, so today I might opt for the Marlin.

Watch-Six

Just get a 10/22. They work great. The scope mount rail comes with the gun and is just screwed on if you want to use it. The sky is the limit on customization if you want to spend the money. The Marlins are also good guns, but you will have the 10/22 for the rest of your life. Watch-Six