Rear sight options

1972RedNeck

I have been practicing a lot with my revolvers over the course of the past year. Have made huge improvements, but still have a ways to go.

Anyways, the sight setup that seems to work best for me is a fiber optic front sight and just the notch in the frame for a rear sight. Not sure why, but the full length notch through the top strap just seems to help my astigmatic eyes line everything up. Noticeably quicker sight acquisition.

Most of my revolvers and pistols are just the regular square notch out of a flat tang. Have tried a couple different styles (fiber optic, paint schemes, etc) but they're just not as good as the old fashioned notch in the top strap.

On my iron sight rifles, a tang mounted peep sight does wonders for clearing things up. Aperture sights on a pistol just add to the fuzziness of my astigmatism.

Any suggestions for rear sights to try on my double action Ruger and Smith and Wessons?

Bob Wright

For starters, you don't say how far you are shooting, nor how small the target.

I tend to shoot at longer ranges, or did, out to 100 yards or more, and at smaller targets. Favorite target at times was a Styrofoam coffee cup at about 100 yards. (I know, highly impractical, but fun. And the white showed up enough to draw a bead on.) For this I preferred the Patridge sight arrangement which is offered on most adjustable sighted revolvers, especiall the Ruger Blackhawks. The square post front also comes on target very fast for me in defense type shooting.

I find most colored sights, and beads, don't give me an accurate "top line" to hold elevation. And some even put off a "glow" to my eyes that is deceiving.

Many, many years ago I did have a gold bead coupled with the "U" notch rear for rabbit hunting which was very good, but then, my eyes, and I, were about seventy years younger.

For whatever that's worth.

Bob Wright

Incidentally, I did practice using very small targets but at much closer range, say ten yards or so. I could shoot end to end through an empty 12 ga. shotgun shell, and even once put a .38 Special bullet into the mouth of an empty .38 Special case.

LeverGunFan

Fermin Garza and Ronnie Wells have collaborated on a replacement for the rear sight blade on Ruger adjustable rear sights. The rear sights are available in eleven variations, and most models fit the Ruger double action adjustable rear sight. You can see the rear sights at this link or on Fermin Garza'a website.

There is a discussion thread with multiple pictures on the SingleAction forum, at this link.

The design of these replacements for the rear sight blade have more depth than the factory blade, and thus have a short tapered channel in front of the notch that may help with your sight picture.

Last edited: