Really Weird things going on in my 340pd

Brasso

I just picked up a 340pd and was doing some dry firing, trying to get a feel for the trigger (it really stacks a lot btw), and I happened to point at a mirror in a dark room. When I pulled the trigger, I noticed a what looked like sparks in the barrel. Sure enough, after double checking that it was empty, I broke all the rules and looked down the barrel as I pulled the trigger, and there were sparks everytime I pulled the trigger. They were coming from the firing pin hole. This can't be normal can it? Please, don't try this at home, unless you are absolutely sure the gun is unloaded.

Doesn't happen with my 342PD. It's trigger isn't that bad either. I think that Smith has let a bad batch of these Scandium .357s out. I believe that another poster hear has had bad luck with a similar .357 model as well. I'd send it back to SW.:( BTW you might want to post this on smith-wessonforum.com too. I don't know if you will get much help here except for ridicule from Smith and Wesson boycotteers.

Jeffet

Brasso;

I had several problems with a new S&W 331 Ti, although "sparking" wasn't one of them. I sent mine back to S&W and they fixed it right. Their service department, in my opinion, is one of the best.

Jeffet

VictorLouis

Someone posted of this same problem late last year on Shooter's Talk. IIRC, his was an all stainless 640. I know that Smith rectified it, and I think it was a firing pin spring that was binding.

OK,

I thought I had heard it all.

I hadn't.

The ONLY thing I can figure is that there's rubbing somewhere on the firing pin, and for some reason it's moving fast enough to cause sparks.

Jim March

Who needs shells?

Just stick bullets in the cylinders, then pyrodex pellets, and use it as a flintlock.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The sick part is, it might even work :p.