Really, really cheap ammo

ScotchMan

I'm interested in purchasing a large quantity of 9mm FMJ ammo for practice. Buying in bulk to save money.

Are there any brands that are so bad they are not worth buying for this purpose? I am using gun-deals.com (http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9mm+Luger) Is steel case ok instead of brass?

I can get Remington UMC for 20¢ a round, but Wolf, Brown Bear, etc, are around 15 or 16¢ a round.

ohen cepel

I think (can't confirm) that the steel is harder on your extractor. However, they are usually cheap and easy to replace if need be.

That being said, I have had issues with steel ammo not feeding from Beretta magazines. Since the cases are not as slick as brass they would stick to each other a bit and jam up. That same ammo ran fine through Hi-Power mags though.

I would buy a small lot first and if it runs fine in what you're shooting then drive on.

If you pick up your brass you may be able to sell it for the price difference if you know a reloader in the area. Something to think about.

Wishoot

I don't use much steel-cased stuff, but when I have, I had no problems with it. My accuracy does seem to suffer a bit, but not enough to get uptight about. Some feel steel cases could damage or prematurely wear extractors.

I usually spring for the most inexpensive brass stuff like S&B when it's on sale.

ScotchMan

Well, I want to keep the brass so I can eventually start reloading. I want to shoot more than current ammo prices are going to allow.

Sounds like I want to stay away from steel cases.

orionengnr

You can buy once-fired 9mm brass for $30-35 per thousand.
So add that into your pricing computations and the answer will emerge. :D

ScotchMan

Reloading is obviously better, but I don't have any equipment or knowledge yet, but I still want to shoot :)

So I'll hang onto the brass for the future but for now buying cheap. usaammo.com looks decent, they primarily make ammo and sell it online and its all consistently cheap.

Dashunde

Using their cheapest listed (steel) of $159 per 1000 rounds.
And comparing it to Federal FMJ from Wally World.

"WPA" Wolf 1000 rounds (20 50 round boxes)
20 x $7.95 = $159 + $17.43 shipping = $176.43

WallyWorld Federal FMJ New Brass
20 x $9.95 = $199 + $15.92 tax = $214.92

A difference of $38.49.... or about exactly what you'd pay for 1000 rounds of someone elses supposedly once-used brass.

I'd buy the quality Federal brass stuff from WalMart as I need it or as much as they have per visit and save the metal for future reloading.

The cheapest new brass bulk I could find there is the SurvivalOps.com for $223.55 shipped per 1000.
$27 shipping for that one...

Last edited:

RamItOne

Yup walmart Federal $19.95/100rnds is the best overall. Don't have to deal with ordering and waiting. Possible shipping fees. Shelling out (pardon the pun) a lot of cash to get a penny or two per round savings.

Joe the Redneck

I used to deal with Georgia Arms, good prices, no problems.

As far as reloading the 9mm, it isn't always cheaper. Jacketed bullets are often the tipping point in price.

WVsig

Best deal for brass cases 9mm is weapons world for 124gr RWS. Great accurate and clean ammo for a bargain basement price.

$189 + 9.99 shipping per case.

kozak6

Some guns don't like steel cased ammo and don't function well with it. Make sure you buy a box or two to see how well it works.

Theoretically, it might cause more wear to ejectors/extractors, but they usually are cheap and easy to replace. Also, the amount you save on cheap ammo could be enough to pay for a replacement, if necessary.

spodwo

WallyWorld Federal FMJ New Brass
20 x $9.95 = $199 + $15.92 tax = $214.92

I keep hearing about Wally Worlds Federa Ammo at $9.95 - it hasn't been that cheap here for months....it's $11.95. Tulammo is the $9.95 king at Walmart.

Corona

You might think about http://www.pocketpistols.info/

They have inexpensive 9mm ammo for $10.99 with free shipping. I ordered some a month ago. Brass cases and, so far, no failures of any kind..and each has gone bang. But then, my P95 eats everything without a hiccup including the cheaper steel cased stuff.

Mrgunsngear

Some guns don't function well with steel ammo, this is absolutely true and I've found that through first hand knowledge. HOWEVER, it's worth a shot. Even if it prematurely wears your extractor, you will save enough money to buy a new extractor and have some left over. I have a couple guns that I won't fire the uber cheap stuff in but that's mostly out of paranoia. My glocks, M&Ps, FNP/Xs, ect... all fire it just fine.

I use slickguns.com, go to ammo, select caliber, then price per round and you can get 9mm for 12 cents a round (with shipping) if you look carefully...

That said, I'm moving in about 4 months and one of the requirements I'll have when looking at new places is that the house will have a space for reloading ;)

WVsig

I use slickguns.com, go to ammo, select caliber, then price per round and you can get 9mm for 12 cents a round (with shipping) if you look carefully...

When was that from. I call BS. Please tell us what you bought for $.12 a round. I have not seen that price for 9mm in over 3+ years.

tahunua001

buying steel cased ammo to save a few cents on ammo is like driving 5 miles out of your way to get cheaper gas...in the long run you end up paying the same. steel ammo requires a lot more cleaning and has a nasty tendency of breaking extractors so I'd stay away from wolf and tula. also wolfs and tulas have been causing a LOT of KaBOOMs lately. so does remington UMC causing KaBOOMs has also been on the rise. just about any lake city/atk or factory reload will do just fine.
bitterroot valley ammo company(BVAC)
american military works(AMW)
USA ammo are all companies that reload lake city brass and the USA is cheap and well beyond reproach from what I've heard.
american eagle, federal, cci blazers are all made by ATK that runs the lake city ammo plant so if it's good enough for the army it'll be good enough for you. the american eagle and USA ammo are going to be your best bet for cheap, bulk purchases.

sellier and bellot, magtech and armscor are good too but the armscor doesn't seem to do too well with long term storage. by long term I'm talking about 10 years in a basement

I dont know enough about bears handgun rounds to really make a reliable review of them but I normally stay away from anything with steel in the casing.

phatspeed7x

I don't reload. I've shot blazer aluminum cased 9mm out of my guns for years and have never had issues with it. $9.99 for a box of 50. They also have ultramax demand ammo that uses brass for $9.98. I've used that stuff too but have had a couple issues with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk