Real World Sportered Mosin Groups?

deerslayer303

Hey guys,
*First of all if you don't like a Mosin Please don't comment I've heard it all before!

For those of you who have a Modified Mosin. Please post up a PIC of your best 100yard grouping. Please include the mods to the rifle, load, load data etc. I have a few of them and I'm thinking of cutting one of these B grade ones down and into a sporter. I'm just wanting some real world results of what I can expect. All my Mosin shooting has been with factory rifles with factory sights using spam can ammo. I need another project as I just finished an SKS. Thank you in advance and happy shooshting :D

elrotundamundo

1 3/8" groups

I have a 1943 Ischevsk 91/30 that shot 1 3/8" groups but I didn't save the target to post a pic. Handload was 47 grains of Varget behind a Hornady 3.12 150 grain Interlock. At the time it still had the factory stock and original length barrel, but was scoped. I have since added an ATI stock, Timney trigger, ATI scope mount( was using the Brass Stacker) and had the barrel cut to 22". I can't find any of the Interlocks locally so I am currently using .311 HotCors and getting 2" groups.

I plan to replace the cheap Barska scope which has bad parallax problems with a Nikon, and order some more Interlocks and work up a new load. I am hopeful that I can get the groups at or under an inch. This rifle handles and feels great in the thick woods where I hunt, although it is a bit heavy. I could have bought a new 30-06 for what I have in this, but the journey has been interesting and fun, so I would do it again.

skizzums

i shot these about a week and a half ago, not really sporterized. no chopped and crowned barrel or handloads. just a VKT finnish nagant with the realy long barrel and a cheap monte carlo stock.. I was just laying in the dirt, I know I could of done better, because these were walking to the left after the first shot. but still not too bad. 100yards, 3.78" 5-shot

deerslayer303

Thanks for the replies guys. That is plenty of Minute of Whitetail Accuracy. I'm wondering what would be the optimal barrel length for a sportered Mosin? I was thinking of cutting it to 22" as well.

Here you go!! This is my Brush Gun a buddy did up for me. Cut and crowned the barrel, Cut down the stock, Added a recoil pad. Then removed the stock rear site and added a Millet Red dot.

I haven't worked up any loads, just grabbed some standard LEE 155 gr cast bullets ahead of 2400.
Deer season is coming though. i may want to work up a hunting load.

100_9574_zps03c0f0b5.jpg

100_9572_zps62da05a9.jpg

100_9573_zpsac236ab7.jpg

100_9571_zps5e6c8e04.jpg

Fun!!!:D

steveNChunter

I don't own a Mosin but I always find accurizing projects fun and interesting.

If I were to sporterize one, I'd be sure to start out with a rifle that has a good bore, and have the barrel cut and re-crowned. The shorter the barrel is, the stiffer (and theoretically, more accurate) it will be, but velocity will drop as you go shorter, so 18-22" is probably a good range. The new crown will make more difference than the length. Boyd's makes some nice stocks for Mosins if you want to replace the stock instead of Bubba-ing the original. The Boyd's will float the barrel. You could also bed the action. Timney makes a trigger for them, that would be nice. Rock Solid Industries mount for mounting the scope in the conventional location(I hate scout scopes). By this time you will have a wad of money tied up in a rifle that may or may not have reached MOA accuracy, but either way it would be a fun project with a high cool factor;)