"Real" Mauser carbines

BlueTrain

Once upon a time, the infantry carried rifles, which we now sometimes call "long" rifles, while the cavalry carried carbines. Then someone got the idea of using a short rifle for both and real bolt action rifles went away.

There were "real" Mauser carbines manufactured and now and then I see one but not very often. They seem to appear in lots of variations, mainly I suppose because they were manufactured in lots of different places for lots of different armies and police forces as well. The only trouble is with the ones you see is that they seem to always be twice as much as rifles.

I have had lots of Lee-Enfields but never had a carbine and never even saw one. I have seen one or two Lebel (?) carbines which are not inspiring, though they had beautiful markings (a rather flowery script). If I had my druthers, I'd pick a Swedish Model 94, I think it is, carbine, and I have seen one of them--but I couldn't afford it either. I was told that the Model 94 carbine was short about a half-inch of having a legal barrel length, so a barrel extension was added. It looked natural on the one I saw. Curiously, I understand the carbine was adopted three or four years before the rifle and I do have one of the rifles.

So this is my question. Anyone here have a real Mauser carbine? What is it like to shoot? I may have heard that they tend to have a lot of muzzle blast, like a Jungle Carbine, though I never thought it was so bad. I would ask if they are common except that it already appears that they are not, presumably because they went out of production so many years ago.

Funny, these days a bolt action cavalry carbine (not short rifle) would be considered to be on the long side.

HorseSoldier

I don't have a Model 1894 Swede, but from what I've read on them, you are correct -- back when they were imported post-WW2 minimum barrel length was set at 18" rather than 16", and the importer had to countersink and press in a barrel extension to get them to 18" legal inches. They would be legal, as is, today, if any were still available for import over there.

Like you, I've seen a couple of them I would have been up for picking up, had they not been priced out of my range at the time.

Scorch

I have owned Mausers in both rifles and carbine configurations, and the carbines are not unpleasant to shoot at all. Quite the opposite, actually. The best of the lot was an Argentine Carabineros carbine, 21" barrel, good balance, 7.65X53. German K98k are nice, but are sort of a compromise as far as weight and length go. Light enough for carrying without sacrificing too much of the stability that comes from good weight. Also had several Ovieto carbines (Spanish Mausers) in 7X57 that I used as all-around shooters.

In general, the rifles had lighter profile barrels and stocks, so when shortened they tend to be stompers. Muzzle blast with the carbines is not unpleasant, accuracy is good, balance is very good.

I am currently looking for a Mauser carbine to replace the ones I got rid of after my divorce 15++ years ago, but they are getting harder to find, and are a bit pricey. But you can still find parts guns for $200 or so, and all-matching for $300.

el Divino

I own several carbines:
two 1891 Argentine one full stock in 7.65x53 original sights and I rebarreled one to 257 Rob with the original stock reworked with a 18.5 inch bull barrel topped with a 4x28 handgun Leupold scope , two 7x57's one Spanish 1893 and a Mexican 1895 (both bolts forged to clear scopes and low swing safeties) both of them topped with 4x33 Leupold scopes, they are all very accurate and pleasant to shoot.

Pthfndr

Here's my Venezuelan 24/30 carbine in 7x57. Barrel is 17". It's a LOT of fun to shoot since 7mm is not a praticularly harsh recoiling round even in a rifle of this size.

For comparison the foot locker is 41".

VSC1.jpg

BlueTrain,

I don't know if this will answer your question or not, but here goes:

I have a Swedish Mauser M96/38. The 96 was cut down 5 inches to provide rifles for the cavalry and was deemed that model. Soon after, they just made the M38 with that length. Mine was made in Carl Gustaf's factory in Germany (one of three factories that the Swedes allowed) in 1916 using Swedish metals. It's chambered in the 6.5x55.

I absolutely LOVE this rifle. It's extremely accurate, even for an old rifle. It has little recoil, and not any muzzle flash that I'm aware of.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if it did or not.

44 AMP

Staff
It all depends on your personal definition, but...

The Mauser Kar 98 is considered a carbine by the Germans. Even though the famous Kar 98k has a 23.6in barrel, it is listed as a carbine. I suppose compared to the Gew 98's 29.1 in barrel, it is.

In the USA, generally "carbines" are rifles with less than 20 inch barrels.

cracked butt

I have a slightly bubba'd M94 that I'm in the process of restoring.

What it looked like when I purchased it:
Picture001-1.jpg

Look mom no gawdawful G33/50 markings!:cool:
Picture007-1.jpg

In the process of fitting a N.O.S. handguard along with a Bayonet lug and sling swivel. Gotta admire Swede craftmen who did this kind of work for a living.
Picture007-2.jpg

The unissued handguard has about 1/16" - 1/8" too much wood in every direction. I had fitted most of the handguard, then my bayonet lug arrived and I had to remove more wood to get the Lug to fit. I stillhaven't finished the project yet, and still need to find a sling, sling buckle, and unit disc.
Picture008-1.jpg

cracked butt

A M-N M38 carbine for length comparison:
Picture008.jpg

How does it shoot? I'm not sure yet. I had it to the range once so far and put about 60 cast bullets through it, but accuracy wasn't very good (3-4" 5-10 shot groupings at 50 yards), but then again sometimes lead bullets take a lot more tinkering to get right than jacketed bullets.

BlueTrain

To tuttle88, I was not including the Model 96/38 (or Model 38) Swedish Mauser in my definition of carbines. I was specifically referring to the carbines specifically produced for horse soldiers, which is why is said "real". As you probably know, the British decided that it was better to have a short rifle (the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield) for mounted use rather than a real carbine. Apparently they were disappointed with the Lee-Metford carbine. The US had both the Krag rifle and the Krag carbine and replaced both of them with the 1903 rifle, which was never called a short rifle, as far as I know. Interestingly, the Krag carbine was not full stocked and had a fairly nice sporting appearance and so did the Springfield trapdoor, which is not at all a short gun.

The Germans had "real" carbines but called the 98k a carbine when they standardized on it in the 1930's. However, they early on had a short rifle variation for certain troops.

Returning to the Swedish model 38, I have seen and wanted one but that was not to be yet. I like the turn down bolt handle better but they all feel stiff and clumsy compared with Lee-Enfields. Even so, I think they are a little better than the 98 Mauser. I only have a Model 96 (long) rifle at the moment, although I also have a CZ in the same caliber. My Model 96 was made in Germany in 1900 and I guess it is my oldest rifle. It is surprising how well balanced it is for such a long barrelled thing. And it fits the cheek and shoulder so well for something that looks plain and practically straight. It is also surprising at the good examples one sees, for something so old. I guess it pays to say out of wars.

I also have a Mosin Nagant model 38, I guess it is. They are roughly made but very business like in appearance. The high gloss finish sort of makes up for the rough metalwork, though it looks a little out of place. Awkward to open the bolt but it closes easily enough. Mausers seem to bind if you don't push them forward straight and just-so. I don't (yet) have a K31 for comparison, so my education has gaps. Otherwise, I like some of the features of the Mosin like the stock and the sights, which suit my old eyes. Some day I must pick up a full grown Mosin Nagant.

Another thing about the Mosin is that if you are going to use chargers (clips), you absolutely have to have good ones. I don't know where the bad ones come from, China, no doubt, but they don't work well enough. The chargers at least make carrying spare ammo more convenient but it's easier to load single rounds. The thing to do is load four rounds, using the interupter gadget that holds them down, close the bolt, ease the firing down on the empty chamber and off you go. I find the safety to be less than easy to use.

liliysdad

A carbine is not defined by its use by Cavalry. Many carbines were produced for artilleryman,engineers, etc. The 94 Swede is as real a carbine as it gets.

jlmurphy

A Spanish FR 8 is a 98 cut down to resemble the Cetme semi auto. Mine has an 18" barrel with flash hider. Clean bore, handles and shoots well, chambered in 7.62x51, all in all, not a bad short rifle/carbine, and they are available.

dogngun

I have a VZ24 made in 1939 for the Romainan Army. It has nop blue left un any exposed steel parts, and has a lot of dings, dents and scrapes.
It shoots way better than it should, and is a lot of fun at the range.
I don't shoot surplus ammo, mainly HotShot commercial 8mm.
I have installed a Wolff spring kit on the mainspring and trigger.

It cost under $140.

Mark