Real accuracy of a new model single six

oldcars

I have a question that I could not seem to answer with the search function. I would like to get a Single Six for target shooting, plinking, and training to be a better six-gun shot with my Blackhawk and Vaquero. I have read alot about the bore diameter of the convertible models and the not so great accuracy with the .22lr cylinder. My question is:

Just how bad is the average accuracy? what kind of standard 5 shot groups at 25 yards are we talking about? I hear alot of "It's a good shooter" information but no hard numbers?

The only Single six I ever had was a junker I rebuilt that only had a .22lr cylinder, who knows what it came with, and it would do 2.5"-3" groups and I sold it because I wanted better.
Off sandbags, on a calm day, 5 shots at 25yds, my other .22lr hand guns will do:
-old 5 screw S&W k22= 1.24"
-Ruger Mark II = 1.26"
-Ruger Mark 1 = 0.58"

and I would like a single action that would hang in there with them, or at least get under 2"

Is this a lost cause?

highvel

The one I had may have been a fluke, but it shot terribly about 5"-6" at 25.
I can not deal with that pattern so I sold it!

DAnjet500

As you may already know, the bore on the many of the OM Single Sixes and all the New Model Single Sixes is a compromise for .22 lr and magnum. If you want a Single Six with a .22 lr bore, get one with a serial number under 150000. This is the approximate point where Ruger switched to the larger bore diameter. Or you can get one of these.

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

I have no personal experience with it but many on the Ruger Forum swear by it.

NoSecondBest

I had an old one that shot unbelievable, after I sent it back to Ruger and got a new cylinder fitted to it. The one that came with the gun had three chambers that shot in divergent directions. After fitting the new cylinder on the gun it shot well under an inch at 25 yds. I took it to the IHMSA Internationals and placed third in Unlimited Class. It shot about as well with the mag cylinder so that blows the theory out of the water that the bore diameter won't work with both. Most of the ones that don't shoot have chambers shooting to different POI. Mark the chambers and start shooting groups. One other thing: all guns just don't shoot the same no matter what brand or model you get. Some are just better than others. One more thing, try different ammo. I've never seen hyper velocity shoot well no matter what I've heard on the internet. Get some standard velocity target ammo.