Ready.gov

Dangerwing

Ok so I know there is a "no EOTW" rule and I'll try to stay away from that specific topic, but I saw a TV comercial this evening that sparked my curiosity. The comercial basically shows a family that is suddenly forced to leave their home due to some non-specific disaster. I think they're trying to allude to a natural disaster like a flood or hurricane but the specifics are really left up to the viewer's imagination. It shows the family grabbing pre-assembled "kits" and fleeing the house. At the end, a website is flashed - www.ready.gov. A narrator then made a few vague comments about being prepared and *poof* comercial over.

I went to the website to see just how prepared I am. I must admit, the FEMA sponsored site it pretty comprehensive - right down to reminding you to bring any medications your dog may need, or tips on sanitizing water. Even a boyscout would be impressed...except for one GLARING point. You guessed it - not ONE reference to a firearm. IMO one of the most important items, one that can provide protection AND food, is ignored. In fairness, they didn't say DON'T have a firearm in your disaster kit. They just ignored the topic all together.

Now the big question - WHY were guns left out of our Governments suggested disaster kit? Antigun sentiment? An honest mistake? Fear of political backlash? Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Bud Helms

Do you really need to ask? ;)

The most likely discussion here is the US Government's attitude on individual firearms ownership and how they spend our tax dollars to either pointedly ignore or actively campaign against what we feel is our guaranteed right to keep and bear arms.

That said, this will remain open as long as we don't engage in any partisan politics, soap box ranting or otherwise off topic venting.

DiscoRacing

my OP... anything mentioned publicly even closely related to GUN or FIREARM nowadays is like stepping for on a landmine trigger....and wondering , first, how long the delay time is,,and if it is in fact live or dud.:rolleyes:

Good gracious, it's sponsored by FEMA. What a way to say "it's obvious we can't help when it gets really bad, so good luck."

On the plus side, it's probably the best use of taxpayer money they've had.

Dave85

There seems to be a blindness to civilian possession of firearms amongst the bureaucrats that run federal entities such as FEMA. It's almost as if it is "just not polite" to talk about it. Considering the controversial nature of the subject within the general public, I can understand their reluctance to address it when I put myself in their shoes. I would have to guess that somewhere along the line someone who owns guns was involved in some aspect of the process that created this website. My guess is that any questions about the question of firearms would have been met with a "let's not open that Pandora's box," or at least the more up-to-date "don't go there."

Another very real problem for the folks at FEMA is the crazy quilt of firearms laws around the country. A federal agency would be hard pressed to make a blanket recommendation that you put a pistol in your "go bag," when doing so might put you at risk of violating state and/or local law. Making individual state-by-state and local recommendations would increase the research load on the group putting together this site immensely. And, we're not talking about adding interns either; we're talking lawyers.

Here's an example of what they're up against: I live in Southeast Michigan. For the sake of argument, let's say there is a flood. My basement is filling, and my car is already a goner. I grab my "BOB" and "BO." The sheriff is nice enough to drive his boat up to my porch to pick me up. Here is where it gets sticky: What if the emergency shelter that is set up to house me temporarily until I can get picked up by family or friends is the gym at the local high school? If I have a gun in my bug out bag, I now have a gun in a school. That's a big no-no around these parts.

Yes, there might be legal provisions for emergencies, but as a practical matter, I will almost certainly be at the mercy of the local authorities as to how they go about handling it. What if the local police chief starts searching us "refugees" and confiscating guns? As we saw during Katrina, the default mindset for the authorities in an emergency is "do what we gotta do and let someone else sort it out later." In light of that, there is simply no way for FEMA to generalize the gun-related concerns of displaced individuals in the same way as they can with their food, shelter, and medical concerns. I doubt they have the budget to begin to try.

So, I can understand FEMA's reluctance to speak to the issue. This is not to say that I hold the feds generally unaccountable for the current state of confusion when it comes to gun laws. If the Federal Government hadn't treated the Second Amendment like Ross Perot's proverbial "crazy aunt living down in the basement" for all these years, there might be a more coherent and reasonable body of laws surrounding the bearing of arms during emergencies as well as in more tranquil times. Maybe then FEMA employees wouldn't have to be afraid to "go there."

Jim Downey

Yeah, I think Dave85 has it right - since these are spots made for national broadcast, they have to think about the crazy-quilt of local and state laws.

Otherwise, the OP is correct in that the ready.gov site is actually pretty good in terms of preparedness. I just figure most folks will adjust their advice accordingly for their local situation.

Jim D.

drail

If you bug out with a gun some guys from Blackwater (paid with your tax dollars) will just take it away from you to keep you safe from yourself.........can't have folks running around the countryside totin' guns......that would be like.... chaos.

MTT TL

If you bug out with a gun some guys from Blackwater (paid with your tax dollars) will just take it away from you to keep you safe from yourself

No, but if you show up at a disaster shelter they will take it away from you.

Also food is not ignored either, it is right on there to have a three day supply. That sounds like a plan destined to fail in the wake of Katrina.

From the Are You Ready PDF
Even though mass care shelters often provide water, food, medicine, and basic sanitary facilities, you should plan to take your disaster supplies kit with you so you will have the supplies you require. Mass care sheltering can involve living with many people in a confined space, which can be difficult and unpleasant. To avoid conflicts in this stressful situation, it is important to cooperate with shelter managers and others assisting them. Keep in mind that alcoholic beverages and weapons are forbidden in emergency shelters and smoking is restricted.

Last edited: