Ready for next on list: Kimber calling?

DanP

Ok, still kind of new here but ready to make my next purchase:

For CCW / defense I have: SP-101 & Sig P239.

For Target / defense I have: GP-100 & <???>.

Time to get the Sig a "big-brother". I'm a bit more lax here as this would be primarily for fun, here are a few parameters:

* I'd like it NIB, not used. Just a personal detail.

* Price range is $1 but should not exceed $1,200 or thereabouts.

* Quality is of course important.

* Looking for a full-size, 1911 style (or close to, meaning DA is OK), with an option for a 22 conversion for endless practice. In reality I'm happy with 9mm, but realize that may not always be a choice.

So I like Berettas just because my old dad & I used to shoot their rifles at the farm. Were always the fanciest and best weapons around. So I may not be objective here in wanting a 92FS. Then again I'd also buy an Alfa-Romeo car just because.

I shot a couple of Kimbers recently and was awed (sp?) by their feel. Very very nice. So I could totally just go and buy me one of those tomorrow.

The Colt 1911 I tested was not impressive to me, but I admit that may be too superficial an impression (plus the owner may or may not have maintained it well). It did jam on me twice though.

Not interested in: CZ, Glock, S&W or any weird off-brand at this time. No offense intended to anyone please!

Springfield Arms sounds potentially good but I know nothing about them. Same goes for Walther. And someone just pointed out STI as well...

Tough decisions! Guess given enough time I could have one of each... ;)

At this stage and knowing my itch I'll probably just go out and buy a Kimber tomorrow. But please feel free to talk me into alternatives! :)

Last edited:

dsk

A Kimber would be an excellent choice. Just get the base model. It is a much better deal than the fluffed-up deluxe models. You can always have it souped-up later.

deej

I think you should go out and buy a Kimber tomorrow. :cool:

I am facing a similar dilemma, I'm in the market for a Commander-sized 1911 to go with my Springfield full size. Kimber is at the top of my list with Springfield running a close second.

You can't go wrong with Springfield, either. IMO. Just buy one of each and get it over with. :D

(You can buy a basic Kimber AND a basic Springfield and stay under your $1200 limit, btw.)

Just occurred to me that Springfield recommends against using .22 conversions, while Kimber markets one for their pistols. I don't think existing .22 top ends will cause any damage to a Springfield, but FYI.

There, did that help? :D

DJ

deej

For God's sake don't pay retail!

Go to www.bauershooting.com and email them for a copy of their Kimber price list. I'm not affiliated with them, and you can do a little better on some models if you shop around, but it's a good starting point.

They show a Custom II (their basic model) for $589.

The Pro Carry (one of the ones I'm looking at) is $623.

DJ

croyance

My Kimber has worked great for me. No failures of any sort. I trust it enough that it is my primary carry gun.
I did get one with the bells and whistles. I figured that if I liked the gun but wanted basic modifications I would be without it for a while. I had shot Kimbers before, so I knew I would like it.

Springfields are good guns. They cost slightly less than Kimber. Quality wise they are on par with Kimber. As a matter of fact I would say that they are Kimber's primary competition. The one thing that I don't like about them is the wider front strap. This is a personal feel thing.

I say you can't go wrong with a Beretta either. If you want a .45 ACP check out the 8045. It is a midsized, single stack .45 ACP with the typical Beretta wide grip.
My Beretta 92 FS and 8045 have never failed me either. They are my primary house guns.

Dave P

Kimber

Kimber Classic was the way I went, after shooting SIG 226's for a long time. I love it! ANd great customer service, too. I paid about $700 for the stainless at my local shop.

DanP

Thanks, I was just using retail as a reference.

From what I've seen the local shops here average 20% - 30% off, and I definitely buy locally whenever possible.

I'm hoping a "Classic" Kimber will come out in the low $600 range, but if I go the Eclipse route that will be much closer to 1k.

treeprof

For Target use, consider the Kimber Classic Target model. It has adjustable sights, which are nice for regulating POA/POI for various loads. I've never had a problem with mine moving around on their own. The blued Classic should be available for <$600 or thereabouts, add $60-75 for adj. sights, more for stainless. There's a custom shop target version (limited run) called the Target Elite II, which as adjustable night sights and some other features that runs abt $975. Have only seen one of these.

batwing

DanP,

I see you've gotten a lot of advice from Kimber enthusiasts. I'm not one of them. I would strongly recommend that you consider the Springfield TRP or TRP Operator. I have a TRP and my friend has the Operator. Both have given flawless performance and are very accurate. The Operator might have a slight edge on double-tap accuracy since it is a bit heavier in front.

DanP

Thanks batwing,

The more I learn about Springfields the more I like them. Maybe I should just hold off deciding until I can rent or borrow one.

Basic Kimber Custom vs. a Springfield Full-Size... everything there is very similar, got to find one to fire.

DanP

Ok, just got back from the local shop.

The Eclipse Pro and the Springfield Mil-spec feel great. I realize one costs half as much as the other.

I was surprised at the weight distribution in the Springfield, it just sat great in my hand.

The Eclipse is sweet though!

I'll go back tomorrow and shoot the Eclipse, and just maybe I'll get lucky and be allowed to try to hit 1 or two rounds with the Springfield.

So there is a 99.9% chance I'll buy one of those two tomorrow. Sure wish I knew more about the Springfield!

Redneck2

No right or wrong...

I work in a gun shop...we sell a ton of Kimbers and can't remember too many complaints. Two did crack the barrel bushing (it is cast, not machined IIRC). Kimber is the "pride of ownership" thing and seems to be the commonly available version of a customized gun.

I just bought a full size Springfield stainless for carry. Our gunsmith is kinda anti-Kimber due to the above problems. If you shoot a lot, the bushing may be a problem. He also feels the trigger assembly is better on the Springfield. Supposedly the Springfield is what the older Colt 70 series used to be.

I bought the Springfield 'cause that's what I got the best deal on. Could'a been a Kimber as easy.

Springfield to use

Kimber to impress others

Colt to hold best value.

ryucasta

Are you looking for a single stack or double stack 1911? The reason I ask, is that you mention various single stacks but then you throw in STI. The only caveat Ill give you about STI is the price. It will more than likely exceed the $1,200.00 you mentioned.

:cool:

DanP

>> Are you looking for a single stack or double stack 1911? <<

Can someone please educate me on the above?

Nice pic Tony! Exactly what I looked at today. I see that you have the 5", any opinions on the 4"? And aren't you a GP fan as well?