Reading Material to Learn More Rifle Skills

stonewall50

So I just recently found myself with more time and money on my hands. A lot more (if you know what I mean). And I am starting to take up some more time consuming hobbies that got neglected because they were deemed unimportant lol. Anyway. I was hoping y’all could point me in the way of some reading material to help me improve my rifle shooting. I’m not looking to replace range time or class time. Just looking for supplements. Especially in regards to terminology like MOA and such and how that is worked out practically speaking.

I have a CZ 550 American in .308 with a Zeiss scope. And I’d like to get pretty good. So any help in the book learning side so I can have some knowledge going into classes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeverGunFan

For the fundamentals of rifle shooting I'd recommend the "Gun Digest Shooter's Guide to Rifle Marksmanship" by Peter Lessler. It covers most topics and would be a good read before attending a school or an Appleseed event. Doesn't have anything on shooting from a bench, mainly covers the various shooting positions that are encountered in competition or in the field.

kymasabe

I don't have a book recommendation for you but...i learned a tremendous amount just doing a weekend long Appleseed Shoot, made me a much better shooter. ( And for those who've attended one, yes, I earned my Rifleman patch). They're fun, affordable, and everywhere.

bamaranger

"The Art of the Rifle"

I've always believed that Jeff Coopers book as seen in my title, was a very meat and potatoes book about rifle shooting and a worthwhile read. Many good pics and instruction on practical, general rifle shooting.

Cooper bashers seem to abound these days, and this post will no doubt draw them out again.........but I see anybody trying to become a better rifleman putting this book on their required reading list.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Cooper's book is good.

I found a copy of Jim Carmichel's book called: "Book of the Rifle" and found it to be informative. It's not a book you would read to find out about the newest scope on the market because it was published in the middle 1980s, but it's a good source for general knowledge about rifles and rifle shooting. You can find used copies priced quite reasonably.

Scorch

If you want to know more about rifle shooting, shoot the rifle more. No book in the world will give you the amount of experience needed to shoot well, I see well-informed shooters who can't shoot all the time.

JJ45

Echo Cooper's "The Art of the Rifle"

Also, Chuck Taylor's "The Fighting Rifle"- this book was written in the 80s and is about combat rifles but I still think it offers a lot of info on the practical use of a shoulder arm.

BeeShooter

Scorch is correct. Don't get overly involved in technique just keep the sights on the target and squeeze it off. There's certainly nothing wrong with reading about shooting but nothing is better than practice. Always take care and use all safety measures. With that being said, the only thing you have to do is concentrate on keeping the crosshair/sights where you want it.

RC20

Its a combination of both.

You shoot some, you read some, then you shoot again.

Hopefully it comes together.

Once you get under 3/4 inch, for most it becomes small aspects that take you down to the goal (in my case 1/4 inch)

hdwhit

Search the internet for a .pdf copy of "Hits Count". Don't get it confused with search results from USA Carry or Revere's Riders. It was a World War II publication of the War Department (before it became the Department of Defense). My grandfather was one of its authors. He was a marksmanship instructor during World War II and helped train more than half a million men how to shoot. I was his last student.

The pamphlet will tell you all you need to know. The rest will come from employing its teachings on the range.

T. O'Heir

'The Accurate Rifle' by Warren Page. Starts at $10 on Amazon.
Publisher: Claymore Pub Corp (June 1973)
ISBN-10: 1886681066
ISBN-13: 978-1886681064

And The Hunting Rifle by Jack O'Connor. Starts at $2.99 on Amazon.
Publisher: Winchester Press; First Edition, First Printing edition (1970)
ISBN-10: 087691007X
ISBN-13: 978-0876910078

People bash Cooper because he had so many stupid ideas. The worst of 'em was the silly 'Scout rifle'.

reinert

Don't know if your interested in hunting or not, but a good book geared to shooting techniques in the field (and the range) was written by Wayne van Zwoll, titled, "The Hunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting; How To Hit What You're Aiming At In Any Situation."

"In The Hunters Guide to Accurate Shooting, firearms and ballistics expert Wayne van Zwoll tells you how to become a better shot, both on the range and in the field. His clear, readable, and entertaining descriptions of rifles, cartridges, sights, and shooting techniques make this book a page-turner for any rifle enthusiast or hunter." (blurb quote from the book).

Wayne also writes for the RMEF quarterly, most generally on rifles, cartridges and hunting. I got to meet him at a hunting seminar many years ago; great, knowledgeable and fun guy to visit with, listen to, and learn from.

4EVERM-14

Position rifle shooting [standing ,kneeling, prone,etc] is likely the most challenging although it is also the best teacher for the student of rifle shooting.

"Position Rifle Shooting"- W. Pullum & F. Hanenkrat
"Shooting For Gold"- W. Krilling

Both are available from Amazon

DaleA

I'd agree with 4EVERM-14 above that position shooting (prone, sitting, kneeling, offhand) is a very good bases for improving your shooting.

Any competition shooting will give you a baseline to measure your skills against others and give you an incentive to improve.

The Appleseed Project provides instruction and incentive. See if there is one near you.

https://appleseedinfo.org/

There have been many good recommendations for books but I'd like to add anything by Gary L. Anderson, a gold medal Olympic shooter. You can read about him here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Anderson_(sport_shooter)

Here's a couple books he wrote or translated:
https://www.amazon.com/Marksmanship...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Competitive-...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch