Re-using Pulled lead Bullets

Don P

As the title states, what are your thoughts on re-using lead bullets that have been pulled for whatever reason. Would you reuse them or not? I'm looking for any and all view points.

mkl

Assuming they were pulled with something that did not severely distort the diameter, I'd have no problem with reusing them.

If they were pulled with a couple of pair of pliers or two sets of vice grips, I'd melt them down and recast.

Sevens

I'm a very frugal guy... so much that friends and family poke fun at me constantly. (I don't mind)

But I'm not so frugal that I re-use lead bullets. They are very cheap, and if I make a lousy round with one because I used a crappy bullet, then I've wasted a primer, a small charge of powder and all the effort that went in to building the round. Furthermore -- I put an ugly looking hole in the wrong part of the target because the bullet landed wherever it wanted to.

If that weren't enough, I don't know when I prepare to pull the trigger the next time if the next bullet is going to be a crappy one, too which messes with my confidence. I'd rather know before I pulled the trigger that my best effort went in to the load I'm about to discharge, so I have no excuses about my ammo. If the shot sucks, it's going to be about my shooting, not about my technique at the bench.

I keep lead in a recycle box, but I don't ever seat a used or pulled bullet.

Doesn't mean you can't... just that I won't.

dahermit

I'd reuse them for plinking loads, don't expect them to be very accurate
Actual tests, or opinion without data?
If "pulled" with an impact puller and are not distorted, logically there should be no problem if they are pistol bullets. However, having pulled rifle cast lead bullets with both impact and collet pullers, I would not use them for Cast Lead Bullet Association competitions due to the very minor visible marks where the bullet fits inside the case neck.

Don P

Thanks to all for your input and for now I'll let all be as is. I just have some rounds that are set to deep. Shoot em up and use them as is.

Don P,

If they are too deep, just get an inertial puller and only tap it hard enough to pull the bullet to where you want it, then stop. If you overshoot a fraction, reseat it.

If you ding the nose of a bullet up, it has surprisingly small effect on accuracy. It can turn a rifle bullet from a .5 moa bullet into a 1.5 moa bullet if you file a slant onto the nose, and it detracts from its ballistic coefficient for shooting at ranges beyond 300 yards, but those effects are all well beyond handgun accuracy and distance pay grade in most instances. If the base looks intact, that's what matters, and you'll have trouble telling the difference.

l98ster

I have pulled many 148gr HBWC (they were seated flush with the case mouth). Using a kinetic bullet puller, I have reused them with no problems. Once you have pulled them, give a visual check to see if they have been distorted. If not, again check to see how well they seat in the new case.

I havent had a problem with this. Good Luck!!!

-George

Don P

I'll try a handful of rounds to see how well they perform after a so called stretching. I'll post the out come some time this coming week as work permits with the good or bad results and to let those who doubt this whether it is a worth while adventure or a waste of time. Again thanks to all for informative input on this matter.

WESHOOT2

done it before; will do it again

Measure their diameter at their 'pulled' location; too small? Don't reuse those with any accuracy expectation......

dahermit

years of shooting and reloading ... you?
I have been breathing for 66 years. I still do not know anything about the respiratory system. I have however, been reloading, casting bullets, for about fifty years or so, and have done some work with statistics and testing. Enough to know that one actual scientific test is worth more than any opinion based on how long someone has done something.

spacecoast

If they are too deep, just get an inertial puller and only tap it hard enough to pull the bullet to where you want it, then stop. If you overshoot a fraction, reseat it.

+1, I've done this a few times, it's quick, neat and easy.

For anyone curious about some actual measurements, get a copy of Harold Vaughn's book, Rifle Accuracy Facts. Vaughn is a world class aerodynamicist and ballistician, having once been head ballistician for the White Sands sounding rocket program. Somewhere in Chapters 7, IIRC, he does actually show measured dispersion from filing slants onto bullet noses and bases. He ends up concluding that Harry Pope was right a century ago when he said "the base steers the bullet".

Don P

Range report re-used lead bullets

I re loaded 110 rounds with pulled 9mm 125 grain lead bullets. Accuracy was good. 15% of the loads key holed. I had more loads keyhole out of my 92fs than out of my XD 4". Overall the XD shot the reloaded pulled rounds better than the 92fs with regards to keyhole and accuracy.
The results were better than I expected so therefor in my opinion it would not be a waste of time pulling and reusing the lead bullets.

Don P

The pulled rounds measured out at .355-.354. A bit small for 9mm compared to my new bullets at .356. As I stated, reusing the bullets I pulled did not turn out to be a total disaster.